Here is a review of the submission guidelines for the CHEST call for proposals:
application form: https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/5319f3da899867345b4eb694/540f11e28570efc260b4adc6/5171850ec28503d63ff1799e48cfe210/Call-3-Application-Form.doc
Maximum award: €60K (up to 75% of total project cost for a SME, non-profit, etc.),
Duration: 10 months, earlier project start date: 1st Feb 2015, notification of decision on 1st December 2014
One-stage submission process, email the application form to email@example.com before 17.00 CET 30th September 2014.
“It will be the task of the applicant to justify why there is a need for their idea or solution with an understanding of the potential impact that could be achieved. Although open in topic, any challenge targeted cannot be limited to a single location or community but instead must be representative of a larger European issue.”
- Transformap fits the description of a digital social innovation (for CHEST):
- Digital Social Innovation (DSI) is ‘a type of social and collaborative innovation in which innovators, users and communities collaborate using digital technologies to co-create knowledge and solutions for a wide range of social needs and at a scale that was unimaginable before the rise of the Internet’
[Digital Social Innovation – Interim Report. for further details please refer to:
- All applications must align with this definition. To demonstrate alignment, applicants need to state how the projects objectives, activities and impact meet the scope and definition of DSI. The CHEST partners will make this judgement based on your response to the Gateway Question – see Section 5 of this document.
- User centered prototype development
- Trials and testing
- Details of planned deployment (non commercial project)
- An advanced prototype of an innovative product, service or process.
- Interim report according to template
- Final report according to http://www.social-reporting-standard.de/en/downloads/
Funding and eligibility:
- EU project (proof of address)
- Need level of innovation, digital-based and targeted towards a specific societal challenge.
- Technically innovative or applying existing technology to new application
- An individual or legal entity can only submit one proposal under Call 3.
- Applications can be submitted by any individual or legal entity, including private companies (irrespective of size), academic organisations or public bodies.
“Assessors will be recruited according to their level of expertise relevant to CHEST with the aim of creating a balance between academics, users, gender balance and reasonable geographical distribution.”
Detail of application form with comments:
- Project outline: 1500 characters
- Gateway question: how is our project aligned with def of digital social innovation
we hit right on the middle of the definition: 1500 characters
- Project location: where the project activities take place?
This will be hard to define
Section 1: Scientific and Technical Excellence
- Challenge description and targeted project objectives
we need to sharpen our existing drafts: especially the objectives of this particular project to be funded 3000 characters
- Maturity of the project
we should insist on past workshops, exchanges, consultations, and first funding by Böll (if any) 1500 characters
innovation is both technical and social (community process). 2000 characters
Section 2: Impact of our idea
- Target group and potential impact:
that needs to be thoroughly worked out refining our existing drafts 3000 characters
- Route to market (!)
big question mark here. We could fail because of that. We can argue that we seek not to expand that project on the market and maintain its commons nature, but mention that it will be a key infrastructure in creating an ecosystem prone to develop specific market applications (eg. OnYourWay). 2000 characters
Section 3: Implementation
- Project plan: work packages with itmes (overview, timing, deliverable…) 3000 characters
- Competences of the applicant
this is a problematic point: who is the applicant given the nature of the 14mmm. We need to find a convincing way to say that the applying organization is the hub for a wider group of involved participants. 1500 characters
- Appendices: 2 additional sides of A4 can include letter of support form potential end users or further info regarding work plan, etc.
This is where our application can really make the difference showing support from dozens of organizatio ns/individuals. 2 sides of A4