combining, comparing, merging, developing onward our existing vocabularies

(Josef Kreitmayer) #1

@species, danke!

Hallo dear people, that contribute and contributed to the TransforMap Taxonomy Circle,

@toka @Silke, @Giuliana, @fraukehehl, @klaus, @dreusser, @DagmarE and @Wolfgang,
in the next weeks, the taxonomy topic is going to become central again to the activites around TransforMap. It would be great, if you would like to participate in that process, based on the work you already achieved with the first draft of the TransforMap taxonomy, as well as with the visionary foresight, what potential can emerge by the connection of the different approaches and proposals mentioned below.

Overview on current activites concerning Taxonomy Work:

The different approaches are based on different viewpoints, that would be great to integrate / interconnect:
(Please take any comments from my side to each approach and it´s categories as a first review towards integrating the different approaches. Please add your viewpoints, and possible corrections to my collection and relating assumptions.)

• SSEDAS: User-centric filter categories to be displayed in the user interface with filters by
  • SSE (social and solidarity economy) initiative-categories relevant for communities
  • and users

• TransforMap: meta-perspective to enable interoperability and filters by
    • needs fulfilled - (the needs fulfilled, sometimes with a more product & service oriented approach is also very much in the interest of some SSEDAS partners)
    • modes of interaction - (with some of the SSEDAS taxonomy Initiative-Types, there is a mode of interaction already implied)
    • self description of a community (as we already noticed in 15mmm some items of the self descriptions of the communities might be difficult, as most of the mapping is done by third parties, and the identification is a delicate subject)

• ESS Global: meta-perspective to enable interoperability and filters by
  • [Products & Services] (http://www.maltas.org/ess/standard/products-services.skos) (seems to have a big overlap with the economic activities & sectors, as well as the same relevance issues with some of the topics)
  • [meta themes] (http://www.maltas.org/ess/standard/themes.skos) e.g. “Decent work and Self-Management” or “Social and solidarity finances” (possible narratives for cluster of tags, or tags themselves?)
  • Qualifiers - (some of this qualifiers also show up in the interest of the SSEDAS partners, as well as in the TransforMap Taxonomy. Some of them might be too much to currently asses, it seems to be very important to currently focus on what data the contributors can actually collect, rather than what is all out there in the world. In general that is a big topic in SSEDAS, as the criteria, what qualifies as SSE are not yet fully set. There is a set of Criteria published, but not yet agreed on for the mapping.)
  • Type of Labour - (workforce-related data, possibly difficult to assess from third parties?)
  • Legal Form - (the legal form, especially with Social Enterprises, Non Profits and Cooperatives is also very much in the interest of the SSEDAS partners)

• Go Fair
  • Fair Trade needs to be enquired. The approach seems to be more on the use of a search function, rather than on categories.

We should be aware of the following points:
(in order to have the dragon of possible individual attachment and preferences in the room right from the beginning, value them, and at the same time take a distance just far enough to get a broader view on the elephant)

• there is a lot of energy already invested in most of the approaches, especially ESS Global and TransforMap. Also SSEDAS carries already some hundred hours with the contributions of the partners.

• the machine-readable concept of the TransforMap Taxonomy is alligned with an OpenStreetMap approach

• the machine-readable concept of the ESS Global Taxonomy is alligned with (please correct me if wrong) some linked open Data vocabulary and the very open concept of the Dublin Core Application Profile (short: DCAP) (which is widely applied for enabling online library linked open data - if I am correct)

• the human readable definitions of the ESS Global Taxonomy is also already translated in several languages.
  • Both approaches are tested in demo-applications, that find very little use (yet), and are not well accepted with test-users.

• It is definitely a big task to learn to understand the different concepts, and merge them in a way, that the elephant is complete (or at least complete enough to be identified as an elephant, not minding how big the ears, or how long the tail…)

• In the process of merging, something needs to be lost
    (otherwise the elephant gets 3 heads and falls right on this 3 faces after the first step, or is simply not recognizeable - userfriendly - as elephant)

• If we go into resistance to merging, but try to just simply compare the relevance of the spear to the tree, we loose the big possible goal of setting a comprehensive standard, that can be broadly applied with many potential partners, and by that enabling a relevant stock of data to build on for awareness raising, applications, research, …

• Nothing can be perfect, and it will be version 1, nothing more and nothing less.

• From where we are starting, we are as close as anyone has ever been to that elephant.

• Hey, it is an elephant, so a huge creature. (Maybe we do not need to go into DNA-testing, zoological demoniation, origin of species, but simply see what parts we can identify, and how we could best aply, reinterprete, adapt them.)

The SSEDAS Taxonomy draft will be ready by end of this week. Pre-Drafts are already linked above.

Editing posts not possible anymore
(Josef Kreitmayer) #5

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mailing lists - lists.transformap.co failed attempts (04/2015 or 10/2016 - 02/2016)

(Josef Kreitmayer) #8

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: neccessary adaptation to reinforce the commoning process

(Mariana Curado Malta) #10

the machine-readable concept of the ESS Global Taxonomy is alligned with (please correct me if wrong)
some linked open Data vocabulary and the very open concept of the
Dublin Core Application Profile (short: DCAP) (which is widely applied
for enabling online library linked open data - if I am correct

If you want to move to the LOD ecosystem you should really read about this: [1]. A DCAP is a data model that defines which terms/RDF vocabularies describe your model properties and classes. And it is a construct that is used far beyond the libraries world!)
A taxonomy is not a good sart, in fact. You should start by defining your functional requirements (and non-functional) in order to understand what do you want to do with the data. After that you should model your reality. To model means define concepts (or classes and properties) and relate them. Please have a look at [2] in the “Data Model” section to understand how we have modelled RIPESS reality.

the human readable definitions of the ESS Global Taxonomy is also already translated in several languages.

Not yet! But that is the idea in the future, when we have more people working with us. This work was done in the frame of my PhD and I did it all by myself (the technical part - since RIPESS was the context I had some people working with me on the part of understanding the reallity). Now we need to find funds to continue this work since I do not have the same time availability as before. Any idea ?

Regards, Mariana Malta
[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/profile-guidelines/
[2] http://purl.org/essglobal/wiki

(Thomas Kalka) #11

@mariana where can I read the ESS Global Taxonomy in its current state ?

(Josef Kreitmayer) #12

A post was merged into an existing topic: The SSEDAS Taxonomy Convergence Process

(Josef Kreitmayer) #13

defining your functional requirements

I think that definitions would be very helpful. DCAP related is there some ressources we could build on?

I wonder, there were already 5 languages, as I found it in the wiki?

We will request the SSEDAS partners to translate their categories on the “types of intiatives” level, in order to be meaningful for users of the website/map in their country.

(Mariana Curado Malta) #14

@josefkreitmayer:
I wonder, there were already 5 languages, as I found it in the wiki?

Some are in fact translated, but not all. The RDF/XML needs huge work. no human resources to do that! But the goal is to have all in the 5 languages defined.

@josefkreitmayer
I think that definitions would be very helpful. DCAP related is there some ressources we could build on?

I don’t really understand what you are asking me…is [1] what you need?

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/profile-guidelines/

(Josef Kreitmayer) #20

@scrumteam1 @matt @mariana @jnardi

Thank you @matt for the conversation we just had.

a report can be found here: https://text.allmende.io/p/SEE_LOD_talks
(if anything in the report is not understandable to you, feel free to contact me directly, and I will work on refining the description)

It would be really great, if someone of the @scrumteam1 could join the conversation tomorrow in Skype on 11:00 CET.

(Matt Wallis) #24

@mariana, @josefkreitmayer, @gandhiano, @jnardi, thank you all for a very positive discussion over Skype last Thursday. I am keen to make progress with the topics discussed. As I recall, we (actually I think it was @josefkreitmayer :slight_smile: ) were going to create a new discourse thread for that discussion. I will create it, probably in a few hours from now, if it does not appear before then.

In the meantime, I noticed by chance that discussion had continued at https://text.allmende.io/p/SEE_LOD_talks, with notes from a conversation between @josefkreitmayer and @gandhiano. I would find it easier to follow what was going on if it was on this discourse. Can we agree to freeze https://text.allmende.io/p/SEE_LOD_talks now?

(Matt Wallis) #25

Topic created:

(Mariana Curado Malta) #26

Very creative way to explain! I will use it in my classes!!! :slight_smile:

(Adrien Labaeye) #27

Are you aware of that tool? https://github.com/kendraio/kendra_signpost

A common and overarching problem in the field of Semantic Web development is the mapping of ontologies and vocabularies. Many ontologies, schemas, and vocabularies exist for classification, data exchange, and machine learning purposes, but often the transformations from one ontology to another is lossy or inexact. Kendra Signpost system that was developed as part of P2P-Next was used to manage large data sets of media metadata, defining an architecture for importing data in various formats and providing mappings between them.

Part of the Kendra initiative (related to Open Value Networks).