Craftwomanship Mumble-Meeting Minutes

1st. Craftwomanship circle meeting 2015-07-03 | 16:15 CEST (partially german language)

Link to original pad: https://text.allmende.io/p/20150703


  1. Craftwomanship-Circle (now Engineering) "calling the monkeys - mumble meeting / 2015-06
    Calling the craftswomanship team

Topics

Interfaces

Demo+ iD+ mmmSM / CKAN / ? / ? / ETL—Strategie/Roadmap?

Landing Page

also see https://stackedit.allmende.io/editor#!provider=couchdb&id=2G5YWT1EsUqLIeitAxYdzPET
PR schließen argh= “Pull Request 9

Zusammenfassung bitte:

Was spricht dagegen den PR anzunehmen und Fehler oder unzulängliches danach zu fixen ?
Gute Frage. Mom; ich starte mal kurz meine Variante am Laptop und guck sie mir an:
Okay, was ich nie mochte, war dass persönliche Kontaktdaten wie Skype und E-Mail Adressen sowie Telefonnummern (!!!) direkt bei Activities eingefügt werden sollten.

  • immer Link zum WhoIsWho - Thread in Discourse nehmen, wo die Leute das selbst veröffentlichen | Nein, aber an sich war die “Activities” Seite nie spezifisch auf 15MMM ausgelegt. Das ist zu viel Detail für einen SCHNELLEN Überblick von TransforMap | Helpdesk hätte außerdem ein “Modal” werden sollen |

  • Mich nervt, das die Inhalte unter den admins verhandelt werden sollen; es wäre viel besser, die in Discourse zu erstellen und dort zu pflegen und einen mechanismus für ein Reinladen in die Seite zu basteln | Dieser Mechanismus ist ja dank JSON API ein Klacks, aber es scheint seitens des Kollektivs auch nur mäßiges Interesse daran zu geben, aktiv und konsolidierend an der Außendarstellung zu arbeiten. Blogartikel, Twitteraktivität, Textveröffentlichung, Diskussion der Startseite, etc.

  • keiner hat Zeit. Wir sollten nicht so tun, als ob wir mächtig was in Petto haben, sondern bescheiden das wenige zeigen, was es gibt. | Das wird so lange ruhen müssen, bis jemand sich der Aufgabe commited. | Bis dahin sind bescheidene Texte mit Links zu etwas einfacher zu wartendem als der Startpage besser, imho. | Gut, kannst du dann bitte im Pull Request inline anmerken, welche Sachen auf Discourse verlinken sollen, statt dort (auf der Startseite) exprimiert zu werden?Ich schlage zunächst * die Kontaktdaten vor. Dann könnte ich den Block schnell rausnehmen, eine Kopie iwo im D. ablegen und mergen.
    — ANSCHLIEßEND dann ließe sich ein schöner helpdesk modal dialog bauen, ja.
    ich muss jetzt leider in zwei minuten zur Probe; nimm doch alles raus, was zweifelhaft ist …Danke. Das wollte ich wissen :)Tschüssiiii!!! Genieße die Sonne.
    Hm. Bin bis 22:00 Uhr in irgendwelchen Bunkern …
    Machs gut; lass uns mal Face2Face sehen …

  • Generell: da wir ja noch keine 10.000 User haben, die uns erschießen, wenn was nicht läuft : je mehr und schneller wir Fehler machen, um so besserdeshalb wäre ich für policy : sofort commit, dann reparierenja, aber bitte trotzdem keinen bullshit verzapfen :wink: Und private Kontaktdaten auf der Startseite, ick bitte sie.
    ok. ich habe mich vertan; habe noch eine halbe Stunde Zeit. Die Probe beginnt erst 17:30ich sitze im Restaurant der Oper …
    nebenbei: ein hack von diesem Pad, der die Farbe der geschriebenen Zeilen langsam ausblendet, so dass man sehen kann, wer was geschrieben hat, und wo er gerade arbeitet warte mal, bis hackpad open source wird; ein etherpad fork. https://github.com/hackpad/hackpad/issues/1noch closed source ? ok, warten wir mal, next topic, see 115 sure thing


  1. Entwicklungsrichtungen
  • konsulting im Context “Josef”: da habe ich eigentlich gar nicht lust, irgendwas zu arbeiten Mein Standtpunkt: von dem wenigen, was ich bisher überflogen habe, brauchen die eine Community-Website mit einem Partner, der das regelmäßg macht;transformap kann dabei consulting machen, wie das ganze OSM / open-data-kompatibel wäre SSEDAS habe ich überflogen, nocht nicht kommentiert. der OSM fokus erscheint mir hierbei jedoch etwas blurry, da er verschleiert, dass geodaten nicht unbedingt bei OSM liegen müssen (erste lesung) mein Punkt wäre: ich will doch nicht im Vorfeld die Arbeit erledigen, die sie erst in Auftrag geben müssten Die Beratungsleistung ist genau der Part, den Transformap spielen kannAh, das erklärt mein Unbehagen in die Beantwortung des Projektes viel Energie reinzustecken. Verstehe …

  • interessant in dem Kontext wäre: was gibt es an Netzwerkpartnern; Menschen, die einfach Community-Websites hochziehen (drupal, wordpress, typo3) etc
    Ecobytes / co-munity.net / OA2 / drupal könnte eine Plattform für sowas sein;SoLaWi geht jetzt auf co-munity.netcommunityforge (GEN) kommt jetzt auch mit 120 drupal sites vorbei
    da bräuchten wir jeweils eine Liste des techni-stacks, sowie der vorhandenen Kompetenzen und Leistungsbereiche ich befürchte mehr technische partner haben wir (noch) nicht. alles andere wäre laberrhabarber

  • wir haben ja noch gar keine vernünftige auswertung unserer Kartensammlung;+ welche Tools nutzen die;+ wer sind deren dienstleister (inhouse, extern) + internen communitystrukturen+ schon bestehnde verzahnungen der communities
    zusammengefasst: ich sehe unsere aufgabe zur Zeit vor allem im Netzwerken: leute kennenlernen und deren Technik …supi; nächstes thema?


technische spielereien
welche technik sollten wir ausprobieren und eigene Kompetenzen aufbauen
2.1 toka: postgres + postgis als docker service-> darin dann öffentliche zu lesende tables mit unsere scrape-versuchen
an postgis als docker habe ich insofern interesse, da ich gerne den OSM Tasking Manager (toka: link ?)* ein eigenes uMap (+toka) fahren würde
toka: das wäre doch schick; wenn wir zuhause mit qgis auf einer transformap-eigenen postgis-instanz arbeiten könnten …jon: yeah, old school :wink:
2.2 toka + jon: geocouch + couchdb
2.3 jon: CKAN toka: ja, geht auch gut von 2.1 -> 2.3 aund 2.2 -> 2.3
2.4 jon: Apache Marmotta + StrabonLDPtoka: sagt mir noch nichts; links ? jon: https://trello.com/c/8UPfvqLX/40-quad-triple-stores-for-geospatial-named-linked-data + http://marmotta.apache.org/ via http://blog.14mmm.org/12-02-2015-berlin-federating-spatial-data-infrastructures/: + https://github.com/datproject/discussions/issues/5#issuecomment-73164031 + http://gstar.archaeogeomancy.net/2014/03/linking-geospatial-data-2014/
2.5 Single sign on toka: hier diverse Strategien / Optionen durchsprechen; letztendlich für jeden interessantda OSM als Basis vorausgesetzt ist, könnten wir die zur Zentralistanz machen (so wie openwheelmap das macht) jon: ähh. authentication + authorization möchte ich gerne noch einmal extra besprechen und nicht so wild mit ideen um mich werfen. da gibt’s ja einiges zu bedenken. toka: ok, dazu gibt es ja schon ein Thread in Discourse, gerne dort weiter … (xTODO: link)- https://trello.com/c/YMYn8Lm3/9-sso- https://trello.com/c/2PeT4l4S/14-create-single-sign-on-for-all-of-transformap-infrastructure [late added, respective discourse thread to authentication]

—toka: da hätten wir dann schon genug baustellen für die nächste Zeit
jon: roadmap, nicht?

toka: als meta-goal fände ich gut, wenn wir einige sachen erstellen bzw. ausprobieren könnten, die für Techniker sexy sind, so dass wir langsam Mitstreiter gewinnen könnten; mehr in Richtung zusammen-hacken + installieren, als neu Entwickeln; überblick schaffen, sich ein wenig auskennen; mehr kann ich zur Zeit eh nicht leisten jon: genau das! wir müssen uns nur auf gemeinsame ziele einigen und zusammen an etwas arbeiten, nicht?


mir fehlt bspw. noch die einbindung von iD + Demo (s.o.) in unsere stack roadmap/strategie
toka: hm, das sehe ich gar nicht so schwierig; das ist einer der vielen Datenquellen, die es miteinander zu vernetzen giltfür iD / OSM brauchen wir nur einen export, der die für uns relevanten Daten rausholt
jon : gut, ich fühle mich aber öfter im leeren raum. dann lieber öfter miteinander reden. und wenn ich sehe wie micha in https://github.com/TransforMap/transfor-map/ abgeht, sehe ich viel unkanalisierte energe :slight_smile: er baut da gerade ein overpass-osm-webgis, falls es noch nicht aufgefallen ist


toka: wenn wir uns als informellen Verbund einzelner Initiativen verstehen, ist das kein Problem; - informell, ja, aber dafür nicht minder koordiniert, oder? ich befürchte, dass es noch einige Überaschungen geben wird, sobald wir nicht nur erste Versuche in OSM machen, sondern mehr Daten erzeugen; im Prinzip könnte da viel rein, aber es wird das meiste wohl wieder raus müssen, befürchte ich klaro.


im grunde ist transformap eine API.
à la https://graph.transformap.co/{UUID} (copyleft elf Pavlik)und ab die post
die es noch nicht gibt …


lass uns doch einfach wieder ein offenes Treffen in Berlin machen und daran weiter basteln …wenn wir uns daran gewöhnen yepp! am 22.7. haben wir jedoch den Sharing City Berlin OSM Import als überthema. aber alles andere schließt ja da an.
toka: da bin ich in England unterwegs; gibt es in London / Cornwall etwas zum andocken ?TransforMappig? Kei ist da, Alex Corbi von http://directory.open-steps.org / PLP, David Bovill (der mappen möchte), ähm, Paul Mackay vllt., Paul von fedwiki (!!! rechtzeitig vorher anschreiben ), wen noch, lass mich kurz überlegen …


Truck FactorJon wird vom Laster überrollt. Und Thomas gleich hintenan. Was tun?

  • neue Leute suchen …- neu anfangen :wink:
    das sollten wir im September in der Woche beackern; dann sind wir zu dritt; wenn jeder auf alles Zugriff hat, dann sollte das doch reichenbis dahin leben wir halt damit, das irgendwas schief gehen kann
  • wir können aber parallel eine Liste der Risiken aufschreiben
  • regelmäßiges Backup mmm.3oe.de
  • Zugang mmm.3oe.de
  • Zugang transformap.co domains
  • collective@transformap.co + “magic password” ?
  • regelmäßiges Backup transformap.co
  • discourse
  • Zugang transformap.co server
  • SSH Public Keys- root password?
  • Mailinglisten- um die Migration abzuschließen, möchte ich gerne:* GroupServer auf die neuere UTF-8 fähige Version updaten (Umlaute in Mails und so) und @list.allmende.io + @lists.14mmm.org abschalten.

Wollen wir uns für diese Serverarbeiten demnächst einen Abend/eine Nacht in Potsdam einschließen?Ab 12. Juli wäre ich etwas freier für sowas.

Single-Sign On + Feature Requests der TransforMap Community für diverse Tools

Für’s erste als Kleinster Gemeinsamer Nenner wohl Mozilla Persona = E-Mail.

Meeting of the “Monkey Circle”, Oct 7th 2015, 13:30 CEST

https://text.allmende.io/p/engineering_meeting_Oct7th


Meeting of the “Monkey Circle”, Oct 7th 2015, 13:30 CEST

Discourse thread about this meeting and link to date poll: https://discourse.transformap.co/t/calling-in-the-monkey-circle/692

## Participants

  • Adrien
  • Josef
  • Michael M.
  • Jon
  • Gualter (after 15:05, point 2.b))

# Agenda:

  • 1. [20’] Status of technical roadmap?
    • planned 13:55 - 14:15
    • happened 
    • What is this roadmap for? What needs to be …
      • … documented?
      • … discussed?

    • 13:55
      • > touches previous collective vision finding processes

      • Jon’s roadmap for the next 9 months
        • we have deliverables and projects running
        • loose coupling of values spread throughout Commons network
        • strategic cooperation instead of planning implementations


  • 2. [60’] Database structure for TransforMap, synchronized with SSEDAS and CHEST.



  • ~~ 3. Review of Scrum backlog and Sprint

  • ~~ [ 4. Licensing ]
    • + look below 

  • [10’] Next meetings

    • https://discourse.transformap.co/t/700
    • open overview session (Hangouts on Air?) to non-technical audiences
    • Further technical meetings on specific topics

    • TODO Gualter + … online … full day online meeting doodle
    • = programme for half days, 1,5 - 2 days?
      • !=? brain melting
    • + end of oct - witz?
    • + dec lille?
    • [ = retrospective ( TODO Adrien, Jon) + plan ] We don’t need it right now (3. above)

    • Financing and Accounting ongoing
    • - Funding Chart with Michael Vesely needs to be refactored how a new thing emerges
    • + Gualter <> Josef in close collaboration riding the horse
      • * product owner : last time too much density in the collective workflow to prioritize or prepare it
        • basically works (we still do other stuff outside)
      • * scrum master : pretty well despite initial headaches
        • surprises?
      • * timeboxing; ~30 mins?
    • - SSEDAS can be allocated at will?

  • 16:00

    • < critical views on the sketches?
    • TODO Michael will invite to a second technical review meeting of the today presented diagrams
      • creates a Taiga task.
    • < next roadmap meeting like today:

Databases to be discussed:

  • - Taxonomy DB
  • - Media DB
  • - Extra-Tag-TB - or where to store TransforMap data?
  • - Where to store geodata?
    • licensing issues around geocoder

  • Jon suggested to use APIs instead of Databases

Licensing issues to be discussed




----

## 1. 13:55 - 14:15 Roadmap

  • Status of technical roadmap?
    • What is this roadmap for? What needs to be …
      • … documented?
      • … discussed?

  •  - Is the roadmap from potsdam or Berlin somewhere? Do we have the links? Does it matter?
  •  - Roadmap für SSEDAS is quite clear from the perspective from Michael which needs accordance Jon and the other monkeys.

  • Due to deliverables and running projects, the roadmap for the next 9 months is quite clear (SSEDAS & CHEST)

### Visualizations to work from

### Where does the roadmap live? 

    • TODO Jon > Monkey Entry Point Discourse Topic : Overview where (esp. technical people) can get the latest docs which is regularly updated.
      • - gathering main documents
      • - main links
    • > publish for clarity on the fringe of semi-internal/external communication
    • (bonus: Discourse API = GitHub WebHooks sync ? )
      • a good idea would be the syncronization, that changes in Discourse documents would be synced with Github

### Cooperation Strategy
  • (needs to be discussed to enable collaboration and draw a timeline for deliverables which we have to make, so in when is the last responsible moment to take decisions on what needs to be built.)
    • < going out for partnerships and cooperations is very good
    • < in the same time we need to know when to close the loop
    • < ongoing topic for this specific roadmap as well as the overall TransforMap development
  • - If the technical roadmap is quite similar to the visions, which we have for transfomap, we need to project to align them together.
  • - Every part of the network works together with their own vision and align
    • - Jons focus: decoupled semantic Web GIS (anm. Josef: please at some point develop further on that)
    • - Many others are already working on attempts that have similar aspects
      • strategic cooperations
    • - currently cannot draw a roadmap for specific implementations until june 2016, but rather work on how to enable collaboration 


Adrien:
    - What is the documentation we currently have for the roadmap mentioned, due to the deliverables from CHEST and SSEDAS?
    GANTT draft overview for both 
    - Speaking of schedules > agile ^^
    


## 2

### 2a)Data(base) structure suggestion: https://discourse.transformap.co/t/665 . 14.25 - 14:55 

Visualization-Link: https://discourse.transformap.co/uploads/default/original/1X/55c11cb35ee594f494dcd28cdcd552806fe08e00.png

  • starting from the Web Map Plugin
    • (data aggregation hub lives in the browser and queries all the neccessary databases/APIs)
    • what happens:
      • 1. Which location is defined (user location, predefined) [ bounding box of the initial extent ]
      • 2. Get the background tiles for the respective BBOX (can be changed by the user)
      • 3. Calls TM-Extra-Tags-API
        • Geographical Query: for POIs which are defined to be displayed within the given BBOX 
        • "give me all POIs within the BBOX according to tag filter-tag"
      • 4. in each POI there are links to other databases
        • - eg. to a corresponding OSM-Object



User-Stories
 - What happens, when the User clicks on a POI?
 - How to handle the translation-issues?
 - How do the filters correspond to the point of interest types in the relating databases?
 - How do the mappings of the different taxonomies work?
 - How are filters derived from taxonomies?
 - How are the filters fetched from the translations in Wikidata?
 - Where and how are images uploaded and fetched for display?
 - How does caching work?
 - Vision of how to produce webmaps for SSEDAS and other
- Requirements from SSEDAS to a WebMap
  • - pre defined set of POIs
  • - general set of POIs selected by general Tags
    • thematic scope
    • regional scope

collaboration with Communites to be integrated in the TransforMap Ecosystem
 - Wikidata-Cooperation for POI-Types translation
 - OSM for Geo-Location storage for specific POI-Types (stable geographic places)
 - Wikimedia Commons (for commons-licensed images)


Open Source works to build on
- Demo-Maps?
- Encommuns? > Rebrand their UI to TransforMap? (Difference between Encommuns and TransforMap approach - Encommuns is very much oriented to fetch data from one DB, Transformap is designed to fetch from various DBs)
- Umap?



Core-Contributors to invite and integrate in the tech-communication
- Kei


Visualization requests
  • - the DB is so interconnected you cannot put it in a simple linear scheme
  • - think of it as a circular data flow (hermeneutics, feedback loop, …)
  • - Probably a step by step visualization would be helpful +1
  • - specific descriptions about each element would be helpful
  • - Michael writes single step description
  •   - for POI data loading (for displaying icons on the map
  •   - for loading POI detailed information
  •   - for UI translation

  • for your imagination about the complexity of the process

Conceptual understandings
  • data-infrastructures best practice would be helpful
  • current best case technology is to do more and more in the browser
  • data cannot be prepared anymore in perfect fitting shape, but
  • + Native Web App approach : logic lives in the browser




other ideas mentioned by Michael
  • covered by two/three user stories

### 2b) Proposed Bulk Import Data Workflow 15:05 - 15:35
https://discourse.transformap.co/t/proposed-bulk-import-data-workflow-for-ssedas/672
https://datengarten.allmende.io/index.php/apps/files/ajax/download.php?dir=%2FTransforMap%2FProjects%2FSSEDAS%2FImports&files=import-workflow-osm-with-all_PD_data.png

Workflow to produce importable data

1. several iterations and deadlines are to be met, all that is not delivered ad deadline (also possibly extended deadline) is not integrated in ssedas | 3 Iterations and timeframes to send us data
2. intelligent excel template, that gives the data-contributor a clear message (colouring e.g.), that a dataset is not completed, or something not accepted
3. Images upload 
  • -directly to wikimedia commons, 
  • -or send us a list with the files and corresponding POIs. The corresponding filename needs to be noted in a field in the import template
  • - eg. Image-files could be publised on the 
4. Long text is cancelled, short text is integrated in the import excel template
5. about information data, we have to make clear, that the checkbox in the import template is 
6. template is converted into CSV-file and saved into a gitub repository with specific name relating to SSEDAS and the specific partner
7. small script splits into 2files
  • - 1st, if no geo-coordinates, it goes to the following workflow
  • - 2nd, geo-coordinates integrated, as there is no adress, e.g. community gardens or such
8. file goes into the geo-coding script. script delivers 3 files https://github.com/TransforMap/geocoding-utils
  • - have to ask michael about specifics on that
9. coordinates is a requirement for the following steps, file that has coordinates is stored in github
10. we don´t take datasets, without name, adress, general tags (needs further specification)
11. sem-automatic and automatic checks, if the corresponding image-link is existing, if the corresponding youtube-link is existing
12. how to follow on the checks -> make form of notification within the CSV-File
13. after that checks, the files are devided in 2 parts,
13a goes back into the import template
13b is ready for production

steps for checking can be set up differently as follows 
Checks for Name/POI type should be made before geocoding -OK
1st step: is the data appropriate
2nd step: geo-coding
3rd step: which feeds images / videos are missing
if some is missing or wrong is marked in the template e.g. colour coded
For optional attributes, we should mark that in the returned template color-coded, so that the SSEDAS partner sees which cells are to be corrected

technical background of scripts and import infrastructure
- Unix shell script - batch geocoder + import script
- check if C++ script from bachelor student of Michael runs on Linux TODO
  • e.g. wine (what does e.g. wine mean?) it is an acronym for “Wine Is Not an Emulator” - with wine you can run Windows programs on Unix

longterm specific
- should be usable also in the long run
- different languages possible in the long term run
- to what extent can that ecosystem be further developed into a web-service
- if we have time and budget to develop that into a web service, we very likely do it

how handle private data
see below at technical aspects of integrate in OSM

#### Workflow to integrate data in OSM / merge with existing OSM-Data
- some of that steps can just be done manually and visually
- issues from Asheville geo-import (data is slightly off)


Process questions for us internally
- how do we internally divide the work
- what is, if the deadlines are not met by the partners
- how to deal with possible overwhelm, as there is quite some workload


how to deal with tags, that fit into OSM or do not fit into OSM
1. checked import files get divided into 2 files
  • - one file contains the OSM accepted tags and goes into OSM
  • - one file contains the tags not fitting into OSM and gets to our tag-database

technical aspects for import into OSM and TM-DB
  • - Role of public Github-Repository (tbc) = saving of temporary files during the import during the different stages
  • - Role of XML-File (tbc) this format is OSM-XML - in native OSM format, ready to be imported.
  • - all data, that can not be publised, get´s kicked out of the files, that are further processed and published in github (tbc)


Import process in TransforMap-DB 
  • - is similar as in OSM, workflow is simliar
  • - geo-locations are also imported, but more as reference to the actual point on the OSM

Import in OSM if the community is to be asked
https://discourse.transformap.co/t/how-to-import-an-existing-list-of-initiatives-pois-into-openstreetmap/483 (bottom part of 1st post)


staging workflow
- using a git
- saving of temporary files during the import
- …

Items that are both present in the import workflow and data base structure suggestion should be marked that they are the same -OK




@species I think, I would actually separate them. It is really difficult to follow that stream already with just 2 meeting minutes.

:+1: One thread per protocol + Use YYYY-MM-DD | Title

Title should include the group which met, which is Scrum ?

@almereyda with discourse api we could be able to do collaborative editing of minutes in hackpad and sync to discourse ?

There is not target group. It is simply the minutes of the relating conversation.

Perhaps “meeting group” would describe more precisely, what I thougt.