Description Texts in OpenStreetMap

openstreetmap
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f9f055d1b40>

(Michael Maier) #1

Yes, there is an established key “description” - it is to be used for additional information that doesn’t fit into existing tags. More than ~50 characters are usually only used for very special cases. Theoretical length is 254 characters, but too detailed descriptions are discouraged - better link to an existing website via the “website=” key. Also, no formattings or links are allowed in the “description” value.

“description=” is normally only used if there are no tags to describe further information.
e.g. a text like: “In the community garden example.garden (founded 2011) do people meet for gardening, holding workshops, and using the space for events. More information can be found on http://www.example-garden.net“ is highly discouraged, because for every piece of information there exists an established tag!

Clear marketing texts are not allowed!

If we would offer a ‘long text’ field, I would prefer to host arbitrary texts on our own systems (the proposed TransforMap Media server), then we don’t have problems like:

• what texts are allowed
  • length limit
  • we can allow links and formattings in texts

How to import an existing list of initiatives (POIs) into OpenStreetMap
What POI attributes does OpenStreetMap accept?
(Jon Richter) #2

I am thinking more and more of federated wiki here. @toka Can you help me to understand why?