Global Map - discussion with Shareable

For the need of sharing information, I’m posting here the ongoing conversation between Tom from Shareable, @Badita_Florin (OSM Romania), and Yohan Boniface (main developer of UMAP).

Tom Llewellyn
Oct 3 (3 days ago)

Hello all,
Sorry for my delay in getting back to you. I have been moving into a new house the last 2 days and have been sick as well so I haven’t stayed up to date with my emails. Instead of trying to add this OSM demo on to our existing webinar I am wondering if you would be willing to do 2 things.

First, do you have clear step by step directions on how to use OSM through umap or other free platform? If so, I can add it to our #MapJam Guide that we plan to release on Monday.

Second, I am thinking about hosting another webinar on Monday, October 13th (The First day of the MapJam) that specifically focuses on How to use Open Source Technology to Map. Would any or all of you be able to participate in a call on that day for an hour (Most likely around 6pm [GMT+2]).

Hope all is well and thank you Adrien for doing this outreach and to Yohan and Badita for your willingness to participate and support the #MapJam.

-Tom

Yohan Boniface
Oct 3 (3 days ago)

to Tom, me, Badita
On 03/10/2014 16:14, Tom Llewellyn wrote:

Hello all,

Tom wrote:

First, do you have clear step by step directions on how to use OSM through
umap or other free platform? If so, I can add it to our #MapJam Guide that
we plan to release on Monday.

It depends what you mean by “use OSM”. Are you referring to adding OSM data on a map? Or simply referring to drawing custom data on top of OSM based maps?
You can find here some tutorials and screencasts that may help: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UMap

Second, I am thinking about hosting another webinar on Monday, October 13th
(The First day of the MapJam) that specifically focuses on How to use Open
Source Technology to Map. Would any or all of you be able to participate in
a call on that day for an hour (Most likely around 6pm [GMT+2]).

Sadly not possible for me, I will be in Burundi, with close to no Internet :confused:

Badita Florin
Oct 3 (3 days ago)

hello Tom, for the first question, what exactly to you need ?

OSM as a base layer ? if so, this is already integrated.

If you need to add OSM data in umap, this can be done in a 2-steps solution. First, get the data from overpass-turbo and then import into umap

Can you tell me more what exactly do you need, sowe can see what is possible and how.

Per example : we need 10 persons that will colaborate and add 23 X places to a map.
The places are of 5 different categories, etc

For Monday, i think i will be free

Tom Llewellyn
Oct 3 (3 days ago)

The idea with the map Jam is that communities will map out their local resources and have a unique web address where others can find and contribute additional local resources. Groups will first compile their information in a spreadsheet and then upload it to a map either as a single or ideally multiple layers (5-10).

During the map jam multiple people may be adding to the map at the same time (especially if there is a decentralized event). Once information is on the map is it easy to get it all back out as a CSV? We are also hoping to make community directories that will compliment the maps and also contain local “off the map” mobile or web based resources.

Last year some maps had 10-20 locations in smaller communities while others had as many as 200 in bigger more active cities and we anticipate the same thing this year.

We will also have a lot of groups who will (hopefully) be able to transfer the information that they compiled last year on for their google maps (through spread sheets) to OSM. I just tried uploading one of the layers of the map that I made for Asheville as a csv (in umap) and it won’t seem to take. I get red bar across the top of the screen with no explanation.

I hope that helps to clarify what we are hoping to do.

Thanks for your help,
-Tom

Yohan Boniface
Oct 3 (3 days ago)

On 03/10/2014 17:00, Tom Llewellyn wrote:

I just tried uploading one of the layers
of the map that I made for Asheville as a csv (in umap) and it won’t seem
to take. I get red bar across the top of the screen with no explanation.

Can you send me a file I can test?

Tom Llewellyn
Oct 4 (2 days ago)

It seems like the issue is that all my locations are street addresses and not long/lat. Are street addresses a no go for OSM in general?
I think that’s what most people who are mapping during the #MapJam will come up with addresses as they will just be copying information from online searches. If this is not possible, do you know of any tools to do a batch conversion from address to lat/long for an entire spreadsheet’s data?

Thanks,
-Tom

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Yohan Boniface wrote:

On 03/10/2014 17:00, Tom Llewellyn wrote:

I just tried uploading one of the layers
of the map that I made for Asheville as a csv (in umap) and it won’t seem
to take. I get red bar across the top of the screen with no explanation.

Can you send me a file I can test?

Yohan Boniface
Oct 5 (1 day ago)

On 04/10/2014 02:31, Tom Llewellyn wrote:

It seems like the issue is that all my locations are street addresses and
not long/lat. Are street addresses a no go for OSM in general?

That’s often a problem, and I sadly don’t know any tool for batch geocoding atm :confused:
We now have a good and fast geocoder (that still need to be improved but…): http://photon.komoot.de/
If it helps, I can quickly do a batch geocoder on top of photon for your project.

Also note something very important: if you are using Google Maps for geocoding and/or mapping POIs, you don’t own the lat/lng data.
See http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html

For example: “You may not use Google Maps or Google Earth as the basis for tracing your own maps or other geographic content.”

i will leave here also the topic where i argument for creating a virtual machine that people can deploy, as a more effective way of making people add data to the map

http://discourse.14mmm.org/t/map-editors-assessing-current-solutions-and-building-our-own-editor/81/10?u=badita_florin

Shareable has decided to push the next #MapJam back until the first part of next year (Tentatively the first 2 weeks of March).

Find futher reasoning and room for questions, and discussions here at the new thread:

1 Like

welcome @TomShareable at the plattform´s who is who.
Find the profile of Tom Llewellyn here in the Who is Who.

@Badita_Florin @ybon would you also like to introduce yourself in the Who is Who?
Would be great! https://discourse.transformap.co/c/welcome-on-board/who-is-who