Global MapJam - Berlin

Just learnt about http://www.shareable.net/blog/mapjam-20-to-put-the-new-economy-on-the-map - could this initiative help to define a definitive list of content types and suggest mapping on OSM, rather than lots of discrete maps which seems to have happened last year? But its coming up pretty soon :smile:

We’re in contact with Shareable about it (since yesterday basically). They will try to provide info on how to map on OSM.
I just sent them an email recommending them to use http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/
Let see what happens!
@species @almereyda: I think we can retrieve data from umap. But I’m not sure. Here is some hint: https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/21987/how-to-retrieve-my-data-on-my-own-umap-instance-with-api
Is there any obstacle about encouraging people to use Umap? I see it as the best alternative to google maps for non OSM mappers.

I moved 4 posts to an existing topic: Map editors - assessing current solutions and building our own editor

Would it be useful to their event if there was a decent canonical list of things to map? I’m not sure I would know of one currently, but that’s a key goal of this project right?

Reading from the E-Mails I get CCed, they already have a pretty decent backlog of maps, especially the last link in the list shows an alternative approach.

The

remains then to be found. I don’t know where or how, as there are already several maps, also within our directory, that show the variety of possible assetts to keep track of. I wouldn’t know either how to categorize or prioritize those, but it also seems most of their maps lack any classification at all.

Well, we lost here as OSM mapping interfaces are out of scope for this year. But, sheeou, an inventory of assetts that are mapable appears really inviting. If we included real-time mapping, that range would reach from cars to cargo bikes, food, couches, rides and all the shareable stuff we can think of.

But I’m on purpose not in the taxonomy group; maybe @rene has some valuable ideas here.

thank you, but not really. I have no idea about.

@almereyda is there a way to plug a umap person to Shareable people. I’m away tomorrow early until Tuesday and won’t have time to care for that. Thanks!

I think mapping shareable and other assets could be the second step of Transformap. We start with organizations, initiatives and then switch to assets.

Shit, yes. There was this guy at the conclave who works with uMap in youth education contexts. But I didn’t take any contact details; hoped he would jump in eventually. Give me some time to remember his name; Hafid?

He was a french native and supposedly of maghrebian descent.

Parallel discussion in Trello about OSM mapping tools.

Hafid: yes true. I didn’t remember he was using Umap and can’t find his contact. sucks.
I tried the last chance: https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/37163/is-there-anyone-who-could-provide-a-umap-introduction-in-english-for-beginners-on-310#

18.10 Berlin - Map Jam

the basics

Location? Spreeacker (great for focus) and/or Thinkfarm (possibility to cook, easy setup) are both booked.

Time frame?

• We focus our effort on one day and that would look like 13:00-19:00 with collective food afterwards
  • the 18.10 is the training for decentralized and self-organized events in Berlin in the following week (maybe too ambitious for now)

Aim(s)? I see various motivations (they may not be compatible and all achievable)

1. start mapping socio-ecological innovation in Berlin to collect data…
  2. … and to test Transformap taxonomy
  3. build up the Transformap community in Berlin by:
  • aggregating active mappers
  • reaching to potential new mappers (grassroots like transition etc.): that group could quickly turn very big in Berlin.
  1. train mappers (various options: towards easy mapping with Umap and/or more advanced stuff with OSM)

Tools what tool should we focus on?

Supporting people:
Mapping methods: @almereyda @wellemut elf, Kei, Severin Halder/Orangotango (?) …
Outreach: Thomas Dönnenbrink (?), Thinkfarm, OK Lab…

My main question is: How big do we generally want this to be? Do we want focus geeky stuff or outreach to new potential mappers?

After discussing this with @keikreutler today at @codeforbe we came to the solution, that it can make sense to run two tracks parallely.

• One focussing on community and actual mapping with people from the fields and
  • another one focussing on open source mapping engines (2 hrs in the morning), mapping the mappings and all related questions (4 hrs during the day) as well as a tempospatial linked data outreach (2 hrs in the evening).

In the same time, while participants are active or groups are cooking, there would be the chance to remotely run a wikisprint in the background to improve our documentation.

Another idea can be to start mapping from the 13th on, have a little thing on the global MapJam on the 16th and then conclude that on the 18ths.

Additionally I’d be providing some hackathon tools¹ to the allmende.io stack and a landing page for both events similiar to the last one.

¹ HackDash, Hackfoldr (+ Ethercalc) and maybe a customized version of the OSM Tasking Manager which runs https://tasks.hotosm.org.

Edit: Maybe I’m moving the technical workshop to sunday the 19th, as I have to chop wood on the 18th.

1 Like

Just in case someone didn’t get it:
If you want to try the ‘professional’ approach (guided by tech-guys), my handbook for TransforMap-ping with the Java OSM Editor is out now! Two caveats:

• It helps if you’re not afraid of using new software, and investing a little time to learn a new program (JOSM is the ‘professional’ OSM editor, I’ve only added entry masks and no step-by-step wizard yet)
  • Handbook is German only atm :-/ It is based on a Handbook for a German OSM project earlier this year, translating would have taken too long atm, sorry…

You can find it in the link, source (OpenDocument) is also available in the Github repository here:

1 Like

I like the two parallel tracks @almereyda! this doesn’t prevent to have a little stuff on the 16th if we want. What would you see happening then?
I could take the lead on the community part and you on the techie one. Would be good to have a plenary session though; maybe at the begginning to present Transformap and frame the day.
That’d be great to have landing page yes. Would be glad to provide content if I have backend access.

I will organize something nice for the dinner part. Let me know if you hear of food to be saved.
I will try to get Severin on board to benefit from their experience in running community mapping.

It would be great to have a quick planning session soon (online or offline with a beer).

I posted in the other forum, but if you find this information relevant, in part with the doing a local machine that would have all the tools setup, and then you only have to provide with a universal tutorial - toolkit for everybody.

And you don`t have to teach them how to install josm, how to install plugins, how to, how to

1.You will only have to focus on a wiki page with for the MapJam to explain different tags and how to add them
2. You will have to focus on a How to use Josm
3. How to create a account on OSM

http://discourse.14mmm.org/t/map-editors-assessing-current-solutions-and-building-our-own-editor/81/10?u=badita_florin

Hello Adrien

I am very short on time this october, (because with the
Ideenwerkstatt Bildungsagenten we have got 10 meetings in Germany,
where I need to build up connections)

So there is no weekend avaliable in october.

But I can help to organize, if needed.

Helmut

@wellemut: well then it may be good that you share the info once we have a proper announcement to share.
@almereyda: Kei is not really available this week (me neither actually) and propose to meet on the weekend so we can prepare the jam. I would like that we decide on a time frame to hold the jam and start communicating around. What about 14:00 - 18:00? and then cooking together (some can continue mapping while other are cooking).

I have my birthday party on Friday, so we might just meet Saturday night?

Sounds you only want to cook :wink: - as it doesn’t seem to be a reasonal timeframe for any productive work.
Why just not go for 10 - 18 for the Mapathon?

I’ve now also filed in the official request for a Sunday Hackathon in the Spreeacker Boathouse.

Joy Lohmann from Hannover shared the following open tool with me. I want to contribute it to the list: https://united.crowdmap.com/

1 Like

well you may be right. I’m just not so sure so many will show up at 10. And that means planning a lunch break (we can always go around the corner).
For the non techie track I was envisioning the following sequence!

• intro+ framing,
  • listing initiatives in small groups,
  • collating results in excel,
  • discussing categories,
  • short tutorial into using UMAP and exporting batch of data into UMAP (btw, do you have an idea how to convert batches of addresses into lat. long.? cf. )
  • next steps for the map jam and transformap