Global MapJam - Berlin

(Jon Richter) #15

After discussing this with @keikreutler today at @codeforbe we came to the solution, that it can make sense to run two tracks parallely.

• One focussing on community and actual mapping with people from the fields and
  • another one focussing on open source mapping engines (2 hrs in the morning), mapping the mappings and all related questions (4 hrs during the day) as well as a tempospatial linked data outreach (2 hrs in the evening).

In the same time, while participants are active or groups are cooking, there would be the chance to remotely run a wikisprint in the background to improve our documentation.

Another idea can be to start mapping from the 13th on, have a little thing on the global MapJam on the 16th and then conclude that on the 18ths.

Additionally I’d be providing some hackathon tools¹ to the stack and a landing page for both events similiar to the last one.

¹ HackDash, Hackfoldr (+ Ethercalc) and maybe a customized version of the OSM Tasking Manager which runs

Edit: Maybe I’m moving the technical workshop to sunday the 19th, as I have to chop wood on the 18th.

(Michael Maier) #16

Just in case someone didn’t get it:
If you want to try the ‘professional’ approach (guided by tech-guys), my handbook for TransforMap-ping with the Java OSM Editor is out now! Two caveats:

• It helps if you’re not afraid of using new software, and investing a little time to learn a new program (JOSM is the ‘professional’ OSM editor, I’ve only added entry masks and no step-by-step wizard yet)
  • Handbook is German only atm :-/ It is based on a Handbook for a German OSM project earlier this year, translating would have taken too long atm, sorry…

You can find it in the link, source (OpenDocument) is also available in the Github repository here:

(Adrien Labaeye) #17

I like the two parallel tracks @almereyda! this doesn’t prevent to have a little stuff on the 16th if we want. What would you see happening then?
I could take the lead on the community part and you on the techie one. Would be good to have a plenary session though; maybe at the begginning to present Transformap and frame the day.
That’d be great to have landing page yes. Would be glad to provide content if I have backend access.

I will organize something nice for the dinner part. Let me know if you hear of food to be saved.
I will try to get Severin on board to benefit from their experience in running community mapping.

It would be great to have a quick planning session soon (online or offline with a beer).

(Badita Florin) #18

I posted in the other forum, but if you find this information relevant, in part with the doing a local machine that would have all the tools setup, and then you only have to provide with a universal tutorial - toolkit for everybody.

And you don`t have to teach them how to install josm, how to install plugins, how to, how to

1.You will only have to focus on a wiki page with for the MapJam to explain different tags and how to add them
2. You will have to focus on a How to use Josm
3. How to create a account on OSM

(Helmut) #19

Hello Adrien

I am very short on time this october, (because with the
Ideenwerkstatt Bildungsagenten we have got 10 meetings in Germany,
where I need to build up connections)

So there is no weekend avaliable in october.

But I can help to organize, if needed.

(Adrien Labaeye) #20

@wellemut: well then it may be good that you share the info once we have a proper announcement to share.
@almereyda: Kei is not really available this week (me neither actually) and propose to meet on the weekend so we can prepare the jam. I would like that we decide on a time frame to hold the jam and start communicating around. What about 14:00 - 18:00? and then cooking together (some can continue mapping while other are cooking).

(Jon Richter) #21

I have my birthday party on Friday, so we might just meet Saturday night?

Sounds you only want to cook :wink: - as it doesn’t seem to be a reasonal timeframe for any productive work.
Why just not go for 10 - 18 for the Mapathon?

I’ve now also filed in the official request for a Sunday Hackathon in the Spreeacker Boathouse.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #22

Joy Lohmann from Hannover shared the following open tool with me. I want to contribute it to the list:

(Adrien Labaeye) #24

well you may be right. I’m just not so sure so many will show up at 10. And that means planning a lunch break (we can always go around the corner).
For the non techie track I was envisioning the following sequence!

• intro+ framing,
  • listing initiatives in small groups,
  • collating results in excel,
  • discussing categories,
  • short tutorial into using UMAP and exporting batch of data into UMAP (btw, do you have an idea how to convert batches of addresses into lat. long.? cf. )
  • next steps for the map jam and transformap

(Michael Maier) #25

If the Address is already present in OpenStreetMap, you can use the reverse geocoding function from OSM’s geocoder Nominatim (the search box on
If you want to have a script where you can feed a list of addresses (as csv) into, I can write one if needed.

But beware: not all addresses are mapped in OSM. If one is not present, you have to look up that particular one in the County’s GIS portal (extracting single addresses is usually okay, because a single data entry is not covered by copyright.).

But do NOT use Google for geocoding, it’s not allowed at all!

(Adrien Labaeye) #26

Update. I started to advertize the Berlin map jam starting at 2pm on the 18.10:

This is what I promised:

• learn about open and collaborative mapping
  • learn to make your own open map
  • discover new initiatives in your neighbourhod
  • connect with other like-minded Berliners
  • provide feedback on the open mapping initiative
  • cook together and celebrate

If I understood you well Jon you want to do a session for thechies the following day at the Spreeacker… So the point of the Saturday session is mainly to teach open mapping, gather data, build the community of Transformappers in Berlin.

(Jon Richter) #27

Unfortunately, I run very short on time these days, but am trying now to publicize the event on sunday to the right people. Sometimes less is more.

Relevant links are, as above

I will try to encourage discussions on

• Data Management in federations, which includes
    • Extract-Transform-Load Strategies for arbitrary datasets,
    • Schema Transformations in a collaborative manner,
    • Ethical Hosting approaches to diversify operations and
    • Responsible Archival of small initiatives’ maps that may else be lost.
  • Data Standardization + Linked Data
  • Learning from open source processes:
    • Why slowness matters.
    • How interoperability raises the network effect.

(Adrien Labaeye) #28

that would be great. would that take you a lot of time?
I found this site that seems to allow the conversion of batches of adresses, but I haven’t tried yet. Not sure which countries are covered though. And not clear about the license rights (it seems to me it’s using google services in the end).

(Adrien Labaeye) #29

so this is the detailed plan I’m envisaging for tomorrow, please comment

1. round of self-introduction: who’s here, what are expectations
  2. Introduction to the day:
  3. why mapping alternatives is a good thing with reference to global mapping jam
  4. the rationale behind TransforMap and what we’re trying to achieve
  5. the aim of the day and what we’re going to do
  6. introduction to uMap showing how to make a map, which license to use and where to store the link (the map jam pad)
  7. small groups make their own map, play around starting inputing 10 locations of alternatives, finding icons to use, changing tiles, etc. People should all experiment by themselves and ask questions. they should try making different things first.
  8. short feedback and presentation of the different maps craeted and questions.
  9. people go back to groups to clean and further populate their map
  • coffee break (during which we export all maps data and import it into one map)
  1. Explanation of how to import/export data
  • showing the map compilation of all the maps (each one being a different layer)
  • introducing a reduced set of TransforMap taxonomy
  • small groups try to apply the taxonomy to the layer of the map they produced by adding the tags into the description box for each POIs (we shouldn’t have the problem of sync using different layers).
  • feedback session on taxonomy: each group present 2/3 initiatives with its taxonomy keys. What works? what doesn’t? What could be improved?
  • do you know existing maps of Berlin or anywhere else for our mapping of the mappings? (they input them directly to the ggl spreadsheet).
  • Cooking for some - keep playing for others (organizing the map with layers according to taxonomy could be the challenge)

[I post this now even if it’s not really avdanced. @almereyda, could we talk tonight or tomorrow (before 6pm)? will you be there? I would really appreciate if you are to support, in particular with technical aspects]

(Jon Richter) #30

I will not be in Thinkfarm the day after tomorrow, Saturday, as I have to chop wood. Your programme looks fine, though. I may add some comments on possible flaws you might encounter sometime tomorrow.

(Adrien Labaeye) #31

Debrief from Map Jam at Thinkfarm Berlin on 18.10

tl;dr: So in the next two weeks there are people who are going to collect initiatives into a form which has elements of the OSM taxonomy. We’ll import the data into a uMap towards the end of the month.

So we had around 15 people in total peaking at around 10 participants.

• I presented TranfsforMap and uMap.
  • We played around for a good 2 hours
    making some maps. None of them though really took off. Participants
    started to think about various issues: what taxonomy? using layers?
    how to maintain/update the map? etc. I therefore introduced the
    taxonomy. Generally positive feedback. It is a bit overwhelming
    though, and some categories (knowledge and resource management, mode of organization) appeared not easy to use/understand).
  • we decided to use a form to collect data to make a map of Berlin into uMap within two weeks. The form:
    It integrates a few taxonomy categories. We’ll be able to import the data into different layers following political self-description or/and needs.
    We plan to convert the addresses as a batch into coordinates. We really wanted to make it as easy as possible. @species: when do you think you could help to make batch conversions of addresses into lat/long (ie. write some script linking our spreadsheet to map quest)?
  • the group agreed to continue mapping together. Next mapping jam planned by folks at Agora on 23.10:
  • Jan Lindenberg who has experience in making a map of resources in the aftermath of Fukushima seems very interested to join the TransforMap process.
  • I agreed with Pit Van de Loo (Open Green Map Berlin) to meet in the next days ( @almereyda?) to discuss how to use icons and potentially collaborate:
  • eventually we didn’t use the Green Map icons as we didn’t come to that point. Sam Carlisle contributed to make the list of icon images more usable (he still need to add the credits/limits to use there):

(Helmut) #32

@alabaeye I would like to join the meeting with pit. I don’t know him personally yet.

(Jon Richter) #33

I moved a post to a new topic: Berlin : regular TransforMap get-togethers?

Berlin : regular TransforMap get-togethers?
(Jon Richter) #34

Geocoding is a delicate question in the open source world. We’ll have to work a lot to have a service similiar to Google’s. I propose we ask Mapbox to help out with their infrastructure, also due to custom tiles, etc. But I’ll further discuss infrastructure with @Michael next week.

That one’s offline by now.

(Adrien Labaeye) #35

it is, Wendy asked us to take it offline. I have it on my computer’s own git (yes I’m now on Github! ulala).