Managing money through donations

(Josef Kreitmayer) #1

@maia [quote=“alabaeye, post:3, topic:1109”]
https://liberapay.com/MaiaDereva/ for payement (if possible)
[/quote]

If someone takes responsibility for the tool. We currently do not have capacities to do so IMHO. It is already quite difficult to get all the promised developments going during the summer time.

@Maia apart from overwhelm. Looks nice. @Simon_Sarazin shared something like that with us a while ago, called gratipay if I remember correct.

Proposal for converging Semeoz work and Transformap wiki of maps
(Adrien Labaeye) #2

I believe the question is not so much about another tool or not, I could support with that part. The real question is whether donations is an accepted modality of payment - which is I assume difficult in relation to our funders (in particular CHEST).

Note for Patterns workshop In the future of Transformap though I see donations (with that tool or another) as one of the way resources are distributed from a central pot to individual contributors of an ecosystem.

(Maïa Dereva) #3

@josefkreitmayer : unless I am mistaken, Liberapay is a french fork from Gratipay. @Simon_Sarazin could tell us more.

@alabaeye : Liberapay permit to have a central pot. But I did not mean to start a debate! It was just a suggestion for my own payment…

(Jon Richter) #4

A post was merged into an existing topic: Proposal for converging Semeoz work and Transformap wiki of maps

(Gualter Barbas Baptista) #5

I don’t understand why donations can be a problem in relation to funders. Donations come directly into the accounting of the organisations as non-taxable money and in the case of Ecobytes they are one of the main sources of funding of the organisation. They are actually very useful to co-fund projects (the EU usually does not fund projects on 100%, in theory at least).

This funding/Librepay discussion definitely belongs to another topic anyway.

(Adrien Labaeye) #6

coz you’re thinking the wrong direction :slight_smile:
This isn’t about Ecobytes or GetActive receiving donations but making donations as a mode of payment…
I’m moving that discussion somewhere else.

(Maïa Dereva) #7

“would you like to do this?”: yes I would like :slight_smile:

Maybe you could add “Create thumbnails of http://wiki.transformaps.net maps” to the list of tasks ?

And maybe it could be a good idea to use https://liberapay.com/MaiaDereva/ for payement (if possible) ? What do you think ?

(Adrien Labaeye) #8

Good question: @gandhiano @josefkreitmayer

(Josef Kreitmayer) #9

Probably the converation on the content of the proposal and the conversation about the distribution process should be split in 2 separate topics.

@alabaeye would you take care of it?
I am happy to comment on the financial aspects of the funding source.

(Jon Richter) #10

A post was merged into an existing topic: Proposal for converging Semeoz work and Transformap wiki of maps

(Josef Kreitmayer) #11

Thank you @alabaeye for splitting the topic.

In general we are currently gambling with delivering an awesome product, or at least one that meets expectations.

• The money we get from CHEST (which is still in delay with 2nd payment, but they put reasonable effort behind), is to be reported to the European Comission, so we cannot donate any ammount we take from there.
  • The money, we get for the SSEDAS assignment is a product contract, where we as entrepreneurial organizations are free to use the funds as we wish, as long as we deliver the required output. So money, that is handed as donation will definitely be accounted in that fund.

Just for your overview:

• currently Get Active is with about -15.000€ out of our pockets, and Ecobyptes with probably about -5.000€ from those both projects.

• So the gambling we are doing here is, that we assume, that whatever we deliver to SSEDAS is so good, that they are willing to give us the full ammount of agreed 30.000 for a product, that is quite challenging for us, as we up to now just delivered about 1/4 of the expected outcome with about 3 month of now reported delay (which they accepted).

That is the gambing game, and the general information about how to handle funds from donations. So the specific information: Yes we can handle donations.