Mapping similar to Digital Social Innovation

(Paul Mackay) #1

Would the kind of map and network modelling used on http://digitalsocial.eu/ be helpful for defining the organizations involved in the kind of community mapping TransforMap is looking at?

Leave it to the user: collectively shaping taxonomies to express plurality of narratives
Leave it to the user: collectively shaping taxonomies to express plurality of narratives
(Helmut) #2

This map looks really nice.
I did not quite understand, what you want to map. could you explain a little bit more?

(Adrien Labaeye) #3

@pmackay: we know that one, it’s really cool! It could indeed be a geat model to visualize our mapping of mappings, to have an overview of the communities contributing to transformap.
@almereyda: Jon, you met them in Paris or?
@pmackay @almereyda: do you know what tech is behind? is that reusable?
If yes, should we consider adding an activity to our proposal to integrate the mapping of the communities (as a way to support the community development)? (i’m skeptic about it)

(Jon Richter) #4

@wellemut www.DigitalSocial.eu maps the relations between organizations and projects in the field of Digital Social Innovation (Report from IST2014 by @alabaeye).

That’s why I proposed to use it in point 9 of my answer in the other thread. Additionally, the collective www.orangotango.info proposed to help out with a network mapping of the MMM process itself. That didn’t evolve any further, but we’re sure we need an overview pretty soon, additionally to the inventory/directory of maps.

They use a self-written Ruby backend by Harry Halpin (W3C), as far as I know. But I doubt it’s reusable for our work; but we’d have to ask them. @amy do you have any contact to Nesta? Else I’d ask Harry if we can set it up for visualizing our local Network of Networks; additionally it would be interesting to see Linked Data federation working between those instances, then.

It should not be part of the CHEST proposal, as we don’t understand it well enough, yet.

(Paul Mackay) #5

The site was developed by Swirrl (code is here https://github.com/Swirrl/digitalsocial). I currently work at Nesta and have had a go at installing the site, without success initially but it was for a quick evaluation of something and I didnt spend long on it. There are a few graph backend elements to setup.

I dont know if it would be directly usable but the essence of building networks of organisations and projects seems like a useful element here :slight_smile:

(Jon Richter) #6

My first contact with person-organization-project directories happened within the Public Space Invaders research and eventually led to a simple prototype http://alpha.publicspaceinvaders.org/.

If these kind of directories are done right, they already form a little federated cloud (in newspeech).
I’ve created an issue there to represent this fact.

I’m pretty sure I can figure these out during one of the rainy autumn days lying ahead. But CKAN, GroupServer, the new Discourse and Wiki, to mention a few, have a higher priority.
Until then we (c/s)ould start mapping in the existing deployment…

(Paul Mackay) #7

Are you in touch with the people building the SUSY website? I wonder if there is any useful overlap with digitalsocial.eu which is going to get rebuilt (see http://www.nesta.org.uk/web-developer-dsi-project).

(Josef Kreitmayer) #8

@pmackay we are not yet in contact (as far as I know). The nesta-link you shared delivers a 404 error page.

I am not sure, if the guys for the www.solidarityeconomy.eu (susy-website) would like to collaborate with further partners, as 26 partners in 23 countries is already quite something. It is an austrian agency, that we are just loosely coupled with. Once we got first drafts of the map interface, we will start to deepen the conversation with them.

Anyway, digital social is really interesting!

(Jon Richter) #9

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Leave it to the user: collectively shaping taxonomies to express plurality of narratives

(Paul Mackay) #10

Here’ that Nesta position description, if of interest (position just closed):

Nesta is looking for a back-end web developerto work on an ambitious project to build a website that will act as a hub for Digital Social Innovation across the EU.

The website is part of a project funded by the European Commissions to bring together Digital Social Innovation across Europe. The website will allow DSI organisations & projects to come together, share knowledge, skills and funding sources. This will replace the current digitalsocial.eu site, which was created as part of the previous researchproject.The full requirements for the site are being determined by engaging future users. The first deliverable will be a Minimum Viable Product build with the following core features:

●Profile creation and editing for users, organisations & projects
●Multi-language support
●Social features; commenting, sharing
●Tagging & search function●Admin system

(Gualter Barbas Baptista) #11

I think what @pmackay proposes is a collaboration with Transformap in general, not specific of SSEDAS/SUSY?

With the current approach, if it passes the proof of concept and it is intuitive enough for people to build their own filters, then there is only advantage in having as many partners and use cases as possible - this is were collective intelligence starts to develop, and also where we can get the feedback for further improving the toolkit.

We could definitely “offer” DSI to provide their backend - maybe even that rather than having a specific person applying (even though it would be great if someone floating on the Transformap community got in)

(Jon Richter) #12

What a pity I had not been aware of the continued conversation since mid-April this year, as it was repurposing another thread which I initially hadn’t followed. I have now attached this year’s pieces to earlier exchange about the same matter.

The funny thing is, despite there is already a little content, it feels we are building the SUSY website, as our interface might be the only interactive element they are going to offer. Even worse, if we are building an embeddable mapping widget for their website, why are we not in touch with its developers yet? And if we are sufficiently responsible for our work package, why were we even concluding we don’t need help or cooperation for that?

Again, if I remember the DSI website correctly over time, it already passed its second iteration, while they made use of an RDF store already in the first one, now apparently approaching the third. Also Nesta is hiring and paying actual engineers and not building on a precariously self-employed group of well-intended activists.

I don’t see how we could be definitely providing any meaningful backend infrastructure, given the hand-crafted, experimental prototype state of our loosely aligned software pieces.

The developments of the currently barebone http://digitalsocial.eu are covered by the DSI4EU project.