Mexican map-platform "Vientos"

(Sebastian Romero) #1

Dear TransforMap humans and non-humans,

We are working in a project called Vientos which is a map of social projects, grassroots initiatives, groups of the solidarity economy, and all the like.

Our aim is to create a community of collaboration among these and with citizens in Mexico City.

We would like to see how we could collaborate with the TransforMap community and invite people to join our team.

Our beta version will be ready in a month.

All the best,

Sebastian Romero

(Michael Maier) #2

Hi @Sebastian-Romero,

could you link the website of your project?

TransforMap tries to be as open as possible, how “open” have you designed your system?

• What mapping platform do you use? (OSM-based, Google, Umap, own System)
  • Is your system Open Source, do you have a link to the repository (GitHub?)?
  • What kind of API/database are you using?
  • Will your database be open? Which license do you have in mind for your data?
  • Do you plan to have user management and/or allow anonymous editing?
  • How do you classify your data, do you have developed a taxonomy?

If we want to collaborate, we should at least have a compatible license (easiest case: Public Domain, CC-0) and specifications for your API.

Thanks! :smile:

Sebastian.Romero--Project "Vientos"--Mexico
Sebastian.Romero--Project "Vientos"--Mexico
(Sebastian Romero) #3

Hi Michael Maier,

Sorry for the late reply, we´ve been overworking. Regarding your questions:

• We use OSM with leafletjs to control it and mapbox to style it
  • Our system is open source…
  • We´re using a Mongo database and for API we use a Nodejs framework called hapijs. For you to access our API, we could build a parallel API functionality that works according to your standards or variable names.
  • Yes, database will be open but users and projects will decide which information remains private. Regarding licenses, probably GNU GPL, MIT, Public Domain but not sure yet, we´re looking for suggestions.
  • There will be user and project profiles accessed and edited by them, and anonymous consultation but not editing.
  • About classification of data, we have projects, ethical businesses and individuals with different sets of information to classify. Projects and ethical businesses will be classified by category (housing, education, art, etc.) and type of project (collective, NGO, cooperative, citizen initiative, etc.) .

Let us know if you have any questions or ideas about how our project can collaborate with Transformap.

Sebastian Romero

(Adrien Labaeye) #4

Great @Sebastian-Romero .
Let me ping some other contirbutors who may be interested to read that
@Luca @flosse @almereyda @toka

(Jon Richter) #5

Hey @Sebastian-Romero, nice meeting you over here, too!

I see the friendly transformaps community already welcomed you warmheartedly.

According to the data provided by the questionnaire and from looking into the sources the application seems to have a nice modular stack. Frontend and backend are available coupled within a single repository.

Although we have received various suggestions not to use MongoDB, we know practicality beats purity.
Direct collaboration could involve understanding the stack better, probably aimed at decoupling again, and extracting the implied vocabulary from the data classification models.

(Sebastian Romero) #6

Hey @almereyda good to hear from you.

I can give you the email of my developer team mate so you two can talk more about the technology behind or if you give me your email i´ll pass it on to him.

(Jon Richter) #7

Actually we would prefer to have any discussions out in the open. This helps keeping a public-oriented mindset, documents our activities for later and allows others to repeat our thoughts to their own benefit.

Is this his/her address, did he/she approve of publicly publishing it here?
Please take care about a person’s data privacy rights and get explicit permission for such actions.

I’ve sent an invite to this person.

(Sebastian Romero) #8

@almereyda sure, we can have the discussion out in the open in here.

actually both Raúl and I saw your message and agreed to put his address here but we can do it your way too.

(Jon Richter) #9

Great! Looking forward to the exchange.

Is there a live instance of your code running somewhere to look at?

(Sebastian Romero) #10

not just yet but soon soon :smile: very soon soon

(Raul Rodriguez) #11

@almereyda I’m here! thanks! I’m the developer of Vientos. Lets figure out how can we collaborate. ^^

(Jon Richter) #12

We are basically in touch with a few crews who produce collaborative mapping platforms.

Pending collaborations to align are those with dat via @captainkmac, Encommuns & pixelHumain / communecter via @Simon_Sarazin, Karte von Morgen via @flosse, uMap via @ybon and as grand pilars WikiData via @maxlath and OpenStreetMap via @species.

We are further in touch with networks like Italia che cambia via @Luca and many more, just to name a few recent ones, to collaborate on minimizing redundancy while increasing diversity.

You could be joining this federation and engage in sociotechnical discussion, help finding new collaborators or interested parties or just making use of this discoursive knowledge commons to find out about mapping alternative economies in general.

(Sebastian Romero) #13

Hey @almereyda

thanks for showing us the current collaborative mapping platforms with whom you collaborate,
we now know more about them and they all sound interesting.

We like to collaborate focusing on needs and offers and that´s why im gonna do a list of what we need and what we can offer and hope that from that list we can find a way to collaborate with transformap or any of the projects in this community. We are finishing our platform and our current needs and offers are the following:

Needs: web developers, web designers, help with OSM editing. We have a small budget but we do have one. We use nodejs, hapijs, mongodb, osm, leaflet, mapbox.

Offers: a network and map of projects and businesses working on the solidarity economy/alternative economy in mexico city, consulting on UX and social psychology, hosting-food-transportation-friends in mexico city.

Im not sure if there is a “Vacancies” section in here but I could´nt find it.

Best regards,

Sebastián Romero

(Michael Maier) #14

Are you speaking of the license of your software (source code) or for the data your users enter? There are licenses that specific to software (e.g. GPL, MIT) and the ones for data and media (CC, ODbL).
If we want to share the data that is entered by the users (POIs), we need compatible licenses - easiest would be CC-0, of course.

I would be able to help with OSM here. What are you planning to do with OSM data, do you plan to edit OSM directly or to develop a specific editor?

(Jon Richter) #15

You should definitely talk to @elfpavlik who recently moved to MX.

(Sebastian Romero) #16

(Raul Rodriguez) #17

We are using Mapbox for the styling of OSM. What do you recomend? The main things we would like to do is to add some kind of icons to get a better reference of where is everything: showing public known places, subway lines and stations in a colorful way, free wifi points, etc.

(elf Pavlik) #18

Thank you for connecting @almereyda, I just replied to @Sebastian-Romero’s fb message ! I’ll also try to follow this thread here…

(Michael Maier) #19

Which Mapbox style are you using currently? I’ve always written my styles manually with CartoCSS, have you used Mapbox studio?

The most colorful style out there is probably the standard “mapnik” style you see on It’s not pretty, but centered on containing as much information as possible.
If you need help which OSM feature correspond to which OSM tags for creating your style, search the OpenStreetMap-Wiki.

(Raul Rodriguez) #20

we are currently using the “Basic” style. Not focusing yet that much on the styiling, but we do are using Mapbox Studio to test it.

Thanks for the tip!

Have you use CartoDB or CartoCSS con a web map? Could you send us some links to check it out. Mapbox Studio is still in their first realeases and is not being as user friendly as we thought.