Taking stock of mapping methodologies (in the alternative economies' ecoystem)

(Adrien Labaeye) #1

It slowly appears to me (in particular during a call with solidaryityeconomy.us) that the whole ecosystem of mapping alternative economies (and the Tranformap effort) could very much benefit of a review of mapping methodologies, identifying convergences (finding common ground), and importantly divergence.
This process so far happens on an ad hoc basis during bilteral conversations, but we definitely need to better understand how the various actors of this ecosystem do map local initiatives.

Basically we a template with criteria for each each mapping.

As a start we could think of defining a set of key questions for each mapping (starting with key ones) to answer. Some rough ideas:

• how do you license your data?
  • how do you draw and enforce boundaries on your map?
  • who takes part in the shaping of categories?
  • do you use tags?
  • how is data acquired? crowd? import? surveys? scraping? small team of data editors?

Some questions could be closed ones, but others will have to remain open. Then, for ease of reading, questions would need to be structured along bigger categories (eg. data collection, data publication…).
Ideally (not at the begining) all the information would be stored for each mappings here http://wiki.transformaps.net/

A first rough list of mappings that should (IMHO) come first:

Craig, @jnardi @josefkreitmayer (others) would you like to take part in this initiative? I’m preparing an article on the topic of collaborative mapping of alternative economies (to publish towards the end of June); this could include some of the preliminary results.

Alignment with Real Economy Lab
SolidarityEconomy.us
(Josef Kreitmayer) #2

@josefkreitmayer:

Hello Adrien,

I just sent you the login to the limesurvey questionnaire software, with which I did the partner questionnaire with the SSEDAS partners. This instance is running on get active, one at transformap could be implemented easily, or we could just use this one.

The login is mainly for you to get an overview, if that is a structure, you like to work with. Limesurvey is the number 1 self-hosted free open source questionnaire software, and I was really happy to work with it.

@alabaeye:

Good to know the tool is there to be used.

The more work is to build a structure of questions that would be required to understand the different methods/approach to mapping.

I want Craig and Emily to be involved in that. They’re academics, they’re used to do this kind of research. I’m really overloaded with work at the moment, I can hardly take a lead on that. Would you like to? I could then contribute with content and thinking/networking.
Cheers,

@josefkreitmayer

happy to do so from the comming week. This week is about geting clarity on the filter level to deliver to Kei for the mockup.

(Jason Nardi) #3

Dear Adrien,

I confirm I’d like to continue to work together on this, though I’d like to
specify that ESSglobal is not a map, but an interoperability system (and an
evolving one, which benefits from all these exchanges and comparisons, as
it was based since the beginning on a number of existing mappings).

I think the questions you make are all relevant.

cheers,

Jason

(Adrien Labaeye) #4

thanks for the feedback @jnardi!
Unfortunately, I’ll be offline until 12 June, so this will have to wait. In the mean time if you think of questions you think should be useful, please add them here. If you have the opportunity to talk to Craig, would be great to have his input too.
Cheers