The SSEDAS Taxonomy Convergence Process

workshop
format
method
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f9f0220e808> #<Tag:0x00007f9f0220e560> #<Tag:0x00007f9f0220e060>

(Josef Kreitmayer) #1

The SSEDAS Taxonomy is an aggregate/convergence of the individual contributions of about 18 of the partners.

The following is the description, that was presented to the 26 SSEDAS partners to facilitate their SSEDAS Taxonomy development contribution:

• Get an idea on which topics you want to focus for the mapping. It is good if you have some expertise about the topic.

• Make a brainstorming about what kind of initiatives you would like to map.

• Cluster them to find category names (solid and easy category names which might also fit for the 25 other parnters.)

• Stick to the most relevant topics you want to see on your part of the map.

• You can start in your language. The output is needed in english, so we can read and process it.

• You are free in your focus in the domain of SSE initiatives.

• Simply start in a text file or excel, or libreoffice calc file and send the output and send us your questions.

Here a more detailed description how you could do the process | How to do it:

1. Start first with narrowing down, on which thematic area you want to concentrate (top-categories) 1st level.

2. After the 1st level (top-category) you could go directly to the 3rd level (types of initiatives) and brainstorm the Initiatives you are interested in and collect types that best describe them.

3. There might be patterns, that you recognize from the types of initiatives (3rd level), from which you can generate sub-categories for a 2nd level (see example). (Sidenote: An initiative might be represented in several types.

You can also switch between step 2 and 3, and in general see it as a fun activity to contemplate and share the beauty of initiatives you want to show to the world.

It is helpful to do it in excel or libreoffice calc, as you can then directly use it in the data collection template, if you already want to add examples to the types of initiatives.

combining, comparing, merging, developing onward our existing vocabularies
(Josef Kreitmayer) #4

That was the guidelines we gave to the partners for developing their individual proposal to the taxonomy.

here the milestones.

timewise we are in slight delay.

If someone is in depth interested, here you can find the individual partners contributions collected in our owncloud.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #5

sorry for the delay, the draft was sent out to the 26 SSEDAS partners on friday, and the weekend we had an intense internal development process going on.

#Here comes the draft of the SSEDAS taxonomy:

- version for feedback/commens
- fully open version enabling rework

A short introduction to the converged taxonomy draft linked above:

• On the top left once clicking the link above, you can find the commentary function.
  • There are 3 sheets in the file:
  1. Categories (the main categories displayed in the menu on the map interface)
  2. Cross categories (categories, that are detailed sup-categories, that apply to several or all categories. They give additional information and can be filled optinally)
  3. Qualifiers cross-filters (categories, that are qualifiers for some ot the main categories. If none of them is marked, e.g. a non SSE specific activity e.g. a restaurant or shop is not visualized on the map)
  • In the first line of each sheet is the headline of the columns.

• Column A is the contributing organization to an item in all 3 sheets.

• Column B - D is the categories / possible sub-categories
    (some types do not have sub-categories) / types of initiatives.

• The categories and sub categories are aggregators.

• Types of Initiatives, cross-filters, qualifiers are tags.

#I would very much apprechiate, if you could have a look and share your comments,

@mariana @mattw @toka @species @Silke, @Giuliana, @fraukehehl, @klaus, @dreusser, @DagmarE @Wolfgang

here a place for describing the SSEDAS Taxonomy Convergence Process and enabling possible discussion around the process.

Bi-weekly community report
(Mariana Curado Malta) #6

As far as I understand you want to do something similar that FAO did:

http://aims.fao.org/vest-registry/vocabularies/agrovoc-multilingual-agricultural-thesaurus

Have a look. They call it a thesaurus, a controlled vocabulary. It is described with SKOS.

(Matt Wallis) #7

I am struggling to understand the spreadsheet. What does it document? Perhaps I have come into this piece of work too late to understand it. It is difficult to review without knowing what is the purpose. I will demonstrate my confusion by example:

• There is a sub-section called “Sport”. It mentions 2 sports: Football and Rugby. Is this because this is a work in progress, and many other sports will be added? Or does this limited set of sports represent something that the spreadsheet is deliberately documenting?
  • “Homeless Shelter” is a type of initiative that appears under the “Main Filter Category” of “Social Inclusion”, but not of “Housing and habitat”. Is that because the spreadsheet is documenting something that already exists somewhere else? Or is there a restriction on each type of initiative appearing under only one main filter category? Or is it an omission?
  • Is “Main Filter Category” part of a proposed user interface for viewing SSE initiatives on a map?
  • Is there an implied hierarchy or containment relation? e.g. Main-filter-category includes sub-section which includes type-of-initiative?
  • What is a cross-category?

What is the planned use for the analysis done in this spreadsheet?

(Josef Kreitmayer) #8

hello Matt,

first of all, I want to appologize for not following up on this conversation, as well as on the convergence with ESS Global (actually on that i follow up, but starting from a very small aspect, the qualifiers of the taxonomy, more about that in the summary link I share below)

To give you clarity, that the contribution you made to this conversation already shaped some important aspect:

We noticed, that the definition of categories of sports is already to detailed, as it was relating to alternatively organized sports clubs, and there are very likely not that many, so thanks to your unveiling this inconsistency, we reduced the category simply to “sports”.

I will address your other points in a later post.

How is your process going?

We are currently digging through the SSEDAS datasets, develop a filter-set mechanism, work on the api for TransforMap… do you actually get our community reports?

In terms of the Taxonomy convergence, please find the latest details here,
##Summary SUSY-map Filter Category Development Call 2016-04-21

##I will share the invitiation to the next call in the following post. It is mainly a FYI on the current process, and development of a qualifier proposal based on the SSEDAS partner´s inputs, but happy, if you want to join. We are currently mainly on the human readable level.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #9

Dear SSEDAS partners and extended network,

for those interested in the filter category development for the SUSY-map,

the date for the 2. Skype for the SUSY-Map filter categories is now set on comming wednesday 4. May 11:00 CET on skype.

You can find the list of participants and agenda for the call here: 2. SUSY-map Filter Category Skype

Find here a summary of the first Filter Categories Skype worth browsing before the call.

If you are on the list of participants, please make sure

• that your Skype is updated to the latest version (last time some particiants could not join caused by outdated versions)

• to be skype contact with my skype-contact: josef.kreitmayer

• if you are not on this list, but would like to participate notify me at least 1 day beforehand, and check if youf skype requires update.

• last minute notifications and unnotified 15 min latecommers will not be accepted, as this call is not co-hosted and we would like to have a concise and focused presentation and collaboration time. Thank you for your understanding.

looking very much forward,
sincerely
Josef
SUSY-map development team

(Josef Kreitmayer) #10

Hello Mariana, probably, that will be a kind of end-result. Currently we are working from tagging “type_of_initiative”, and adding respective keywords in the multiple languages. That is an idea, that is explored while preparing the first datasets we got from the SSEDAS partners, and seems to be simple enough to process in the given timeframe, and open enough to iterate towards what you shared as thesaurus.

The idea of a thesaurus for sustainable development or social and solidarity economy was a big inspiration for me about a year ago, after we had conversations with Jack Townsend and Amy Guy after the open knowledge festival in Berlin.

About 2 years ago, I followed an invitation from Martin Kaltenböck from Semantic Web Company (also OKFN Austria and Advisor to OKFN UK) in Austria. He presented their work (resembles the FAO example you shared), and their Tesaurus building engine https://www.poolparty.biz/linked-data-integration/.

I would love to further engage in that, and think, what we are currently doing is a first stepping stone in the direction of that as a

#Sustainable Development and Social Innovation Thesaurus.

@mariana, maybe you are already aware of related thesaurus, thesauries, plurual of thesaurus.

We are still quite far from that, and given the current challenges, that relate to expectations from funders and project partners, have to be wise to walk in baby steps at some times, but that is definitiely one of the visions worth to follow.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #11

In the SSEDAS Steering commitee meeting this week, we got the first iteration of the SSEDAS taxonomy approved as follows:

The 1st iteration of the map viewer, we are currently working on

• integrates the "types_of_initiatives, Categories and Subcategories from the draft sheet down to line 128

• The 1st iteration does not implement qualifiers or any types of initiatives, that would require qualifiers into the first map visualization, as we do not want to get overcomplex right from the beginning

• we produce a running version with the first iteration before the summer

• we hope to get the editor ready before the summer, but cannot promise

For the 2nd iteration, we will

• integrate the feedback of the partners
  • further develop the filter system to integrate the most relevant types_of_initiatives, that require qualifiers, based on the respective qualifiers.

therefor we further develop

Version 2.0 of the "SUSY-map SSE Taxonomy"