TransforMap.co landing page

(Adrien Labaeye) #1

A topic to gather the discussions about the landing page.
The different places:

TODOs

• Process: we need to clarify who is responsible for content on the landing page?
  • online editing (all those in content validation should be able to do this
    –> let’s make sure we’re reactive and that flows!
  • Documentation
    • Describe the technical procedure to update content (maybe avoid making it too public…)
  • Define a list of type of content to be featured.
    • map
    • maps preview from http://mmm.3oe.de
    • blog content: routed from Discourse
    • links
      • to map maker (Umap)
  • Agree on updated menu items
  • Agree on updated links on footer

cc @kei @almereyda @toka

Strategies for Mapping the eco-social and solidarity economy in soldarity
(Jon Richter) #2

I will do so within the next few days, after finishing 15MMM WitzSprint reporting.

(Thomas Kalka) #3

@Scrum I second @josefkreitmayer in his wish towards using a wordpress instance for the landing page.

Why ?

• use infrastructure known to other people
  • eat our own dogfood, if we are going to support a wordpress plugin for creating transformap layers
  • integrate blog
  • integrate with discourse https://github.com/discourse/wp-discourse

(Gualter Barbas Baptista) #4

We have now a second topic discussing this, a story on the current sprint, and an hackpad.

I propose to bring some focus by:

1. Discussing technological options here, on this thread
  2. Synthesizing decisions and the concept for the page on the hackpad
  3. Describing progress on the scrum story.

(Gualter Barbas Baptista) #5

So, bringing my point from the other thread, and adapting/extending it.

I don’t think it is wise to push the Wordpress topic again now, even if I do agree with you that it would have made our life easier. But it’s not on our stack decisions, there are people who are strongly for having a static site, not a (“legacy”) PHP-based CMS and it’s also ok to have decided so, as it is more resilient regarding maintenance, and more secure. We just need to work a bit more on getting the publishing workflows correct and I hope that this month things are moved a bit further in what regards the website .

For example, once we are ok with the calendar, and if we stick with Drupal for “managing” the calendar, I can export the calendar entries in basically any format you’d like to have (although iCal is out-of-the-box). If we instead that only want to integrate an iframe from an external site, that should also be simple, whatever technology we use. The same goes for publishing community content - we could have a feed (RSS? JSON?), e.g. from a specific discourse thread.

That said, if we want to consider moving away (why do I have a permanent feeling of dejà vu in these posts?) and scrap the current implementation of the landing page in favor of a familiar PHP-based CMS, then I would like to see at least these considerations and processes:

1. Finish describing the concept for the landing page, including roles and design patterns and send it to discussion with the community
  2. Evaluate and compare different technological options, including the existing static site with DocPad, Wordpress, but also other possibilities of quick implementation and where expertise exists within the team/collaborators, such as Drupal (maybe v8)
  3. Assess whether the people currently engaged in the site development and particularly on the design part, such as @kei, which just re-joined the team, is also happy with working with these technologies
  4. Gather a circle, or group of interested people to take a decision on it

(Jon Richter) #6

Just to let you know: I will quit the TransforMap/MMM project if there
is any WordPress to be used.

(Thomas Kalka) #7

Interesting priorities.

(Gualter Barbas Baptista) #8

I’m happy to see your allergy towards “legacy” platforms seems to be reduced to Wordpress :black_joker:

(Adrien Labaeye) #9

I have no particular preference in terms of stack/software whatever. I just want a backend access that is not too complicated that I can update content on the webpage.

I very much like that possibility. And adhere to much of the rationale you present.

However, I believe it is a bit non-sense to scrap a website that currently works and looks nice. I am against scraping existing good work, because we’ve more than enough to do.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #10

I want to second some statements by @alabaeye

I agree, that it is no priority to change the engine behind the running website. I would also rather invest design-effort in developing ideas for the layout of the map display we need for SSEDAS. The website apart from information that needs update, is quite functional and fine IMHO. and

(Josef Kreitmayer) #11

#Adjustments we need to make to the website for the chest project:

MUST

link to be integrated: http://www.chest-project.eu/
and the following http://www.chest-project.eu/call-3-winning-projects/
(ecobytes was requested to be put there as well. No response yet.)

Text to be integrated e.g.
You can also use, something as simple as -

CHEST (Collective enHanced Environment for Social Tasks) is a 30 month Research and Development project supported under the Seventh Framework Programme to promote the development of digital based innovations that have the potential to address key societal challenges. In addition to the development of an online community platform that will facilitate the sharing and exchanging of ideas, the CHEST project has invested up to €2.5 million in seed finance for highly innovative digital based technologies, concepts and systems that address a specific societal challenge. TransforMap has been successful in receiving support through the scheme with the managing partner organizations Get Active and Ecobytes.

Short version:

CHEST (Collective enHanced Environment for Social Tasks) is a 30 month Research and Development project supported under the Seventh Framework Programme to promote the development of digital based innovations that have the potential to address key societal challenges. TransforMap has been successful in receiving support through the scheme with the managing partner organizations Get Active and Ecobytes.

NICE TO HAVE

• the blog (last post sometime in summer) is still running on 14mmm.org and could be migrated, and/or actually put to live again (migration with wordpress would be quite simple, I do not know about this system)
  • the wiki that is linked on the bottom of the page is outdated and not an active tool anymore (link could be deleted)
  • I am not sure, if trello is still relevant, it is also still linked in there
  • the 2 buttons (what

(Adrien Labaeye) #12

I have been updating the top comment, please edit as you see fit trying to maintain coherence and conciseness. :smile:

(Josef Kreitmayer) #13

the hackpad link in the first post does not work.

(kei) #14

Hey all,

Thanks for this clear overview of what needs to change soon for the CHEST project. I’ve added these bullet points, along with a few other notes I’ve been able to gather, to the old Landing page Trello board here. Unfortunately, in looking back to the Hackpad on the landing page, it currently seems to be down.

I’m up for figuring out a better means of updating the landing page and feeding in workspaces, calendars &c. During the brief time I was able to make it to the sprint planning call I left a comment on the hackpad to the effect that my second priority was reworking the landing page but my first priority, in being able to participate more in the project, is a clear articulation of what TransforMap aims to achieve and produce.

Jon just stopped by for tea, and we discussed this - it would help me a lot personally on clarity and input if I could see the above outlined simply and as non-technically as possible. (Playing a bit of a contrarian here I suppose, but all in the project’s best interest I promise :smiley: as I think it will help what the landing page should contain become clearer.)

(Gualter Barbas Baptista) #15

I have exactly the opposite problem - the old Trello board is not showing for me, the Hackpad is ok :smile:

I have anyway copied everything that was on the hackpad back to our Taiga story, which is anyway where we should keep track of progress.

As for a clear articulation of what TransforMap aims to achieve and produce, I don’t dare to answer that now. But writing what to do in a simple and non-technical way is what we aim at with the user/community stories. I wrote yesterday an article on scrum (soon will post on discourse), which hopefully helps us and the Transformap community to understand and shape the role of the scrum team in the overall Transformap process.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #16

@gandhiano

can you integrate the following in the activities of the transformap landing page? Feel free to make changes to the text. The 2 logo images linked at the discourse post would also be good to display.

with this link: An introduction to TransforMap @ CHEST

TransforMap is one of the Call 3 winning projects of CHEST.

CHEST (Collective enHanced Environment for Social Tasks) is a 30 month Research and Development project supported under the Seventh Framework Programme to promote the development of digital based innovations that have the potential to address key societal challenges.

TransforMap has been successful in receiving support through CHEST with Get Active and Ecobytes as lead partners, taking responsibility to enable collaborative momentum for propulsing a commons-oriented and open multidisciplinary collective of engaged contributors to create an ecosystem of exchange, learning, producing and co-developing infrastructure for collaborative open source mapping, map-aggregation and interoperability for mapping social innovation.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #17

Is that resolved?

(Gualter Barbas Baptista) #18

I can as soon as @kei or @almereyda clarify how to effectively render the new page. I already pushed new commits to different branches without it changing anything.

For non-techs there’s also a nice prose.io UI, which allow for direct edition of the pages markdown. Good setup for allowing more contributors. We should document and discuss workflows

Gualter Baptista

(Jon Richter) #19

I feel a strong desire to revert the commits you included from your last hanging pull request, as they contain personal data (phone numbers) of individuals. We should also try to remove all branches including them from the public, too.

Then website generation and deployment happens with https://github.com/docpad/docpad-plugin-ghpages#project-pages.

(Gualter Barbas Baptista) #20

I just branched from existing repos and it was not even clear which one is the main (it’s still not clear, as they don’t appear in the website - still awaiting for instructions for @almereyda or @kei on this). So a cleanup, together with proper instructions is desirable.

But this needs to be quick and not transformed into another neverending task (like the mailing lists, which just wait for the listing of members from the old list… since 1 month).

Lets settle a deadline for the posts to be on the landing site for Friday?