Vasko Drogriski - Connecting food (Australia)

(Vasko Drogriski) #1

Hi all,
I’m new to this forum and wanted just a bit of guidance on how to start up a local mapping with others where all the food is/can be grown in our area, and where all the food distribution points are, to try and join these two things up.
I’m just seeking some advice and where the best place is to start with doing something like this here.

(Adrien Labaeye) #2

Hi @Vasko19661,
Welcome on this forum!
You may have a look at the following:

Have fun mapping and don’t forget to come back here telling us how it went! and to add the map to our wiki atlas:

(Vasko Drogriski) #3

Thanks heaps Adriene, will check this stuff out.

(Adrien Labaeye) #4

Maybe you want to add where you are based so others may connect with you! :slight_smile:
Oh and you may also think about hosting a map jam as a way to kickstart your mapping… you can find inspiration to remix here

(Vasko Drogriski) #5

Great idea, thanks Adrien

I’m from Daylesford in Victoria, Australia.
A map jam would be good, do I need to invite others?

(Adrien Labaeye) #6

the best is to throw an open invitation among the local groups networks you
know are related to the topic. Check that shareable guide. It’s all
answered in length there. :slight_smile:

(Vasko Drogriski) #7

Yes have read that now, quite useful overview.
Have put out invitation to few FB groups.
Still need to wrap my head around all the different online tools that are available and suggested in the shareable, and working out the appropriate technical and the ‘social process’ is involved.

(Adrien Labaeye) #8

tools for a map jam: my recommendation is start with a google spreadsheet to gather, structure your data and then import that into uMap. Easiest way to get a map done.

(Vasko Drogriski) #9

Thanks Adrien,
Yes was wondering how to simplify my decision, that narrows it down, so I’ll give that a go over the weekend. Have made a time and date to do the group work for Saturday 10th September.

This is invitation for it.

(Vasko Drogriski) #10

Hi Adrien,
Is there a detailed Umap user section, or a support community for using the more detailed functions?

(Jon Richter) #11

As food and Australia appear in this thread, do you know Share’N’Save or Open Food Network?