Version 2.0 of the "SUSY-map SSE Taxonomy"

(Josef Kreitmayer) #1

For those, that are following the [SSEDAS Taxonomy convergence process] (The SSEDAS Taxonomy Convergence Process), this topic is a direct succesor of the conversation on the process so far. It is the public & partner interface to the development of the SUSY-map SSE Taxonomy V2.0

The development is based on the [work documented in the first link above, which concluded in
"SSEDAS Taxonomy_v1.2_stable.csv (31.0 KB).

• The internal organization process for Version 2.0 can be found here in Taiga Card #320
  • If you want to participate in the development, just write a note here in this thread.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #2

##The work on the 2nd version of the SUSY-Map SSE Taxonomy is starting now.

The current SUSY-Map taxonomy is visible here already in use:

Items, that we already received will be posted in this thread for discussion and public harvest.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #3

##Suggestions for new entries

(Josef Kreitmayer) #4

##Substitute for Term “Lending Central”

The currently used term “Lending Central” seems inapropriate and not hitting the mark of what it wants to describe. Several partners could not get an image when translating into their native languages. The term came about from an edgy translation of the German/Austrian “Leihladen”.

Borrowing shop” might also be a term, that is used in the english language, but most internet searches for the term deliver a reference to the “Leihladen” in Berlin, where Borrowing Shop is a literal translation. There is a very small Wikipedia article.

The probably best term, that is widely used in the english language to describe the same thing is “Library of Things”

Examples:

Variations of the concept as Tool Libraries and Toy Libraries seem to be well known as well in some countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_library | https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_library
I know from the Tool Library movement in the US, as well as from various examples of Toy libraries. with Various examples can be found on the web.

I would go for “Library of things” with the tag: “library_of_things”.

Description: A Library of things has a stock of useful things (tools, sports equipment, …). Members can provide items to the community, and can also borrow everything in stock for a period of time without extra charge, similar to a book library, usually for a shorter timeframe than in a book library.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #5

##Finding and solving mis-understandings and open questions in the filter categories:

Going through the translations, some items were not yet translated by some partners (as I assume) based on mis-understandings, or were understood differently.

• Eco applied art (probably better term: Ecological Design?)
  • Mutual society art (in the german context, it was misunderstood, is it well understood in other contexts?)
  • Lending central is mentioned above

It will be good to ask everyone, which of the category items they might not understand or struggle with, when browsing through the menu and map in english and in their native language.

English descriptions for all categories are required to get clear, what they are about. That is a todo on my side. Helping hands&minds welcome!

(Josef Kreitmayer) #6

##Suggestions for new entries from COSPE

From Marirosa Inanelli: I worked with our policy advisor to suggest some integrations in our susy map.

suggested POI:

• agricultural producers
  • solidarity purchasing groups
  • organic producers
  • social and solidarity networks/platforms

suggested type of initiatives:

• Food and agriculture>buy local> purchasing groups
  • Reduce, reuse, repair, recycle>reduce> purchasing groups

Especially the POI are quite important for us because we have specific initiatives that we would classify.

The organic profile of an agricultural producer is a value added to be taken into account within our selection criteria. As you can see in our proposal, the organic feature is a subcategory of the agricultural production and is an important part of SSE in Italy. Most organic producers are working without a previous certification through ordinary labelling processes, they are part of local movements asking for a community driven accreditation that we can’t ignore. For this reason we would like Organic Producers to be considered as key subcategory.

Social and solidarity networks/platforms aren’t made up just by citizens but by organizations and cooperatives mainly. I don’t understand the meaning of “Susy partner network”, in Italy we have more than 40 experiences like these that haven’t anything to do with Susy. We should consider a specific category where these networks can be put in.

##Agricultural organic producers:

As we are limited with our capacities, and had an agreement with the SC in April, not to integrate agricultural producers, that do not have a collaborative aspect, I currently need to insist, not to integrate them in the map, as well as we hold the same agreement for Corporate Social Responsibility and Alternative Education. It would be too much to handle for the current project.

##Solidarity Purchasing Groups (GAS):

• solidarity purchasing groups

Could you give 2 or 3 examples? If you have them already in your list, just send me your list, and I can search for them.

We noticed, that the term “Food bying circle” was not appropriate, and will be (actually already is in the map interface) changed to “Food buying circle”. If the solidarity purchasing groups refer to people, that organize to collectively buy food from local producers, would that fit the request? We asked an english native speaker, which term would fit best to describe the activity (which she knew, as she was part of one such group herself), and she described “food buying circle” as the most accurate.

Solidarity Purchasing Groups (GAS) in Italy aren’t just limited to food but they are supporting other SSE production as textiles or information technologies. We can’t split them in different categories because of the risk of loosing the real nature of GAS.

suggested type of initiatives:

• Food and agriculture>buy local> purchasing groups
  • Reduce, reuse, repair, recycle>reduce> purchasing groups

Ah, probably, you mean somehting different than food purchasing groups. Looking forward to the examples.

My current internet research about the terms and the Italian movement brought just articles, that are food related:

2 questions:

• Is there another Italian translation of “food buying clubs” (groups that independently organize to collectively buy from local producers), than “Gruppi di Acquisto Solidali”?
  • If yes, than they need distinction. If not, then probably it is just the local translation of the term?
  • If there are Solidarity Purchasing Groups in the Italian movement, that do not mainly focus on food, could you mention at least 5 examples?

If you see it very important to further spread the term “Solidarity Purchasing Groups”, that is currently (as far as my 20 min research goes) just used as English translation of the Italian context, we can discuss in the Category 2nd iteration call, if that is a good strategy, and how we implement it.

##Social and solidarity networks/platforms:

2 suggested ways:

re-name, rearrange "active citizenship"
The section “active citizenship” is currently in the following situation and could be re-arranged / re-named:

• 3 sub-categories, with few items in each one.
  • The sub-categories could be left out, and all categories are visible at once as in e.g. the category “finance”.
  • It could be re-named to e.g. “NGOs & active citizenship” or “networks & active citizenship”, other suggestions?`
  • The category “social and solidarity networks/platforms” could then fit there. What do you think?

re-name “Susy-partner network”

• The category currently contains just “SSEDAS partners” as type of experiences, that can be re-named to “Susy-Map partners”
  • The main category could be re-named: “Social and solidarity networks”, with a type of experience, that is called the same:
    “Social and solidarity networks”

Thanks for your work.
I appreciate the thoughts and engagement you put into the development of the categories. Your requests also brought up some important reflections to me about points that I had a look into thanks to your request.

I hope, that my answers are clear and helpful to you and deliver something you can work further,

sincerely
Josef

Examples are always very good to give an image of what each other thinks of, when looking at the real projects.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #7

##From the first iteration

• Gastronomy (social and/or ecoligical core focus must be clearly visible)
  • Shops & production (social and/or ecological core focus must be clearly visible)
  • „other“ categories of the current map.

• For the first iteration we agreed to exclude some types of initiatives, even if they are interesting,but do not fit the core of Social and Solidarity Economy.
  • Some suggestions / request might meet that criteria, and we will have conversation about it.
    From a technical perspective, we cannot take the further complexity of qualifiers as originally aspired.
  • We will integrate all relevant intiatives within the technical frame of the current 3-level menu-structure.

(Josef Kreitmayer) #9

#Food Buying Collective / Food Buying Club / …

##text needs translation:

wir basteln ja gerade an der SUSY-Map, einer Karte der Alternativen (erst mal in Europa, später weltweit).

Darin haben wir auch Foodcoops, und sind auf die Schwierigkeit gestoßen, dass Foodcoops im englischen nur tatsächliche Cooperatives (also Genossenschaften) sind. Wisst ihr von einem englischsprachigen weithin angerkannten Begriff für das, was wir in Österreich und Deutschland (eine deutsche Kollegin in CC) als Foodcoop kennen?

Bisher sind mir die Begriffe folgenden Begriffe geläufig:

“Food Conspiracy” in Francisco Bay Area gebräuchlich https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_conspiracy, (wobei “conspiracy” einen unguten Beigeschmack hat, abgesehen von den Leuten, die es supercool finden).

Aktuell haben wir den Begriff “Food buying circle” eingesetzt, der aber auch nicht wirklich griffig ist.

Ich habe auch den Begriff “Food buying club” gefunden. http://foodconnects.org/local-food-buying-clubs.html.
http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/how-to-start-a-food-buying-club

Dieser Begriff ist technisch mit ziemlicher Sicherheit der sauberste, weil “Buying club” sozusagen ein terminus-technicus für Einkaufs-Gemeinschaften ist. Hier eine recht interessante Darstellung: http://bulko.com/how-it-works/buying-vs-coop
Dagegen könnte “Club” im nicht-native Englischsprachigen auch leicht missverstanden werden.

“Food buying collective” könnte auch ein stimmiger Begriff sein, der mir aktuell neben Food buying club am besten gefällt. Habe ich u.a. hier gefunden: http://www.pedalpeople.coop/index.php?page=24

Answer from Molly, an english native speaker living in vienna and active in the Austrian Foodcoop network:

Hey Ravi,

Um deine Frage zu beantworten, ich glaube “Food Buying/Purchasing Club” ist die Begriff die am besten zutrifft. “Food Co-operative” kann auch theoretisch viele Formen nehmen und “store-front co-ops” haben keine Monopol auf die Begriff. Trotzdem glaube ich dass die Foodcoops in AT und DE sind leichter als Food Purchasing Clubs verstanden werden. Ich sehe kein Problem mit dem Begriff “Club”, “Conspiracy” ist noch weniger leicht zu verstehen. “Circle” klingt für wie ein Deutsches Konzept auf Englisch übersetzt… aber so würden wir es nicht sagen (glaube ich).

"Food buying collective” finde ich schön aber es wäre nicht so gängig wie “Food buying club.” Andere Alternativen/Ideen:

Non-commercial (community) food co-operative
Members only, small-scale food co-operative
Grass-roots food purchasing group
Grass-roots food co-operative (no store-front)

Hoffentlich hilft das! Ich habe einen spannende Artikel über Nordamerikanische Food Co-ops und Buying Groups als weitere Quelle angehängt.

Liebe Grüße an alle Foodcoopers in Wien!