What is TransforMap?

rework_needed
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f9f1326d860>

(Benjamin Brownell) #6

I will try some edits based on my sense of good ‘public relations’ copy writing:

TransforMap is an online platform that provides an interactive map of resources and initiatives in the new economy. Use it to view or map places, projects, organizations, and other features that are available to serve the needs of citizens, ethically and sustainably. TransforMap provides a single interface to map and publish data from many sources through a unified taxonomy. It is a free and open platform, designed for and by community.

The world is transforming rapidly, new alternatives and activities are all over the map. TransforMap opens a world of possibility, and shows you how to go there!

(Josef Kreitmayer) #7

Reading some of the later reflections and having the wish to include sustainability also in the “dedicated to” segment of the currently second sentence,
my development suggestions:

TransforMap provides an online-platform to map the manyfold alternatives to the dominant economic model. (myriads is not very commons as expression. manyfolds is a suggestion)

TransforMap will visualize all places, spaces and networks that work on fostering cooperation and deepening human relationships through (co-)producing, exchanging, contributing and sharing, for a free, fair and sustainable world.

It gives to everybody the opportunity to map all initiatives, communities, projects, worker-owned, self-managed or (at least) democratically organised companies dedicated to meeting people’s needs, serving the common good and/or contributing to a social transformation towards sustainability. (that passage including sustainability transformation seems important to me)

TransforMap provides a single interface to map and publish data from many sources through a unified taxonomy. It is a free and open platform, designed for and by community.

TransforMap invitates all the existing mappings to cooperate for an open solution to map the plenty of alternatives based on a common taxonomy, working with and/or towards Free Software, developing standardised APIs and publishing under an Open Data License.

There are Plenty of Alternatives (TAPAs). TransforMap makes them visible. Our world is transforming, and new alternatives are all over the planet. TransforMap will show you how to get there.

Hope it does not get to long, but I think that is still within the range. Thx for the good drafting and all development work on that short description.

(Dagmar Embshoff) #10

Hej Silke und Giuliana - ich find das was oben steht richtig gut!!
Ihr seid super!

(Silke ) #11

habe alles Kommentare versucht zu berücksichtigen, aber nicht intuitiv gefunden, wie ich den thread aufräumen kann…
Ich überlasse das auch gern Dir :slight_smile: Gute Nacht S.

(Thomas Kalka) #12

Das Aufräumen sollte jeder selbst machen.

Also: wer mit obigen Text einverstanden ist, löscht seinen Beitrag oben einfach.
Wer nicht: ebenso löschen, und einen neuen Beitrag erstellen.

(Thomas Kalka) #13

Meiner Ansicht nach ist die Beschreibung zu sehr eingegrenzt auf alternative Ökonomie.

@DagmarE API versteht jeder Techie, und an diese ist es gerichtet.
Ich würde jedoch “standardised” mit “open” ersetzen.

Dann ist da noch das Thema “Lizenz”.
Gibt es dafür eine Einigung ?
Ich plädiere für weitestgehende Kompatibilität und würde wie Wikidata auf Public Domain // CC Zero setzen.

This is more a philosophical question that a technical one :wink:
But for me its fine.
“on one map” would be more bold.

(Michael Maier) #14

In my opinion, not. A clear goal of TransforMap was (imho) to be embedded in other project’s website displaying a subset of the data the website concerns about. It is not to be supposed to be a single map - it’s not even a single database!

(Wolfgang Höschele) #15

I think this looks very good!

Regarding the phrase

In English, capitalizing You is very unusual (not like Sie in German!). So do make it lower case. I would choose either myriads or multitude; one commentator thought myriads is unusual, but I do think it´s understandable and brings across the point of it being very many. The “multitude” reminds me of Communist discourse about “masses”, so I personally would prefer myriads, but I would find either one acceptable.
About “Free Software”: is this normally capitalized? When reading this, I first thought it was starting a new sentence and had to read it a second time in order to make sense of it. This could be avoided if it is not capitalized.
Otherwise I think this can stand as is. Good work, Silke!

(Dagmar Embshoff) #16

Liebe Silke und alle Beteiligten,
ich finde den Text so super!
Aufgrund Michaels technischer Bedenken beim Begriff “singled multi-layered map” könnten wir vllt. “single mapping system (with access via OSM)” schreiben oder “single mapping system with the possibility to show all found alternatives in a single or multilayered map” ??

Bald geschafft!
Hoffe es geht auch mit der Eingabemaske voran… LG, D.

(Dagmar Embshoff) #17

Hej Thomas,
ich dachte die Kurzbeschreibung von Transformap richtet sich an alle die z.B. selbst Alternativprojekte mappen wollen oder darin aktiv sind oder solche finden wollen - also nicht nur Technies… LG, D

(Silke ) #18

Michael, I disagree, for the OSM- step you’re right, but at the end there will be a moment where we can show all alternatives and switch on/off what everybody wishes to see, right?

(Giuliana G.) #19

I would simply cancel “/or” in the sentence: …“serving the common good and/or contributing to a sustainable way of life.” Because it has to be sustainable, whatever it is. Further, one could add “decent”: …“contributing to a decent and sustainable way of life.”, in order to underline the social aspect as well as sustainability.

(Michael Maier) #20

“Free Software” is kind of a trademark of the Free Software Foundation for software that fulfils the Free Software Definition But I looked it up, even Wikipedia is inconsistent :wink:

Would be a replacement that makes me happy :smile: One mapping system - many maps created from it!

(Stefan A) #21

Hello,
I like the text. I second Wolfgang in regards to the upper case comment. Plethora might also be an alternative to multitude though some people might understand it in a pejorative sense.

I would also favour a few minor language edits (cf. in bold):

TransforMap will provide/provides an online-platform for you You to visualize the myriads/ multitude of alternatives to the dominant economic model on a single, multilayered map. It will give to [unnecessary, should be erased imo] everybody the opportunity to map all the initiatives, communities, projects, worker-owned, self-managed or (at least) democratically organised companies and other institutions dedicated to meeting people’s needs, serving the common good and/or contributing to a sustainable way of life.

TransforMap will show all the places, spaces and networks that work on fostering cooperation and deepening human relationships through (co-)producing, exchanging, contributing and sharing, for a free, fair and sustainable world.

TransforMap invites all the existing mapping initiatives to cooperate for creating an open map based on a common taxonomy, Free Software and standardised APIs. It will be/is published under an Open Data License.

Our world is transforming. There are old and new alternatives all over the planet. TransforMap will show you how to get there. [TransforMap shows where to find them ?]

[Join the map, join the movement! ?]

(Adrien Labaeye) #22

I would suggest to get rid of “at least”. Sentence is already very heavy.

It doesn’t include all the possibilities from the taxonomy.

I would change “free software” to “free and open source software”

(Adrien Labaeye) #23

this part is problematic. Our goal is not only to create one map, but a system that allows each community to have their own sub-sample coming from the same pool of data.
I would suggest the alternative (changes in bold):

"TransforMap invites all the existing mappings and communities to cooperate for creating an open pool of data organized around a common taxonomy, free and open source software and standardised APIs. It will be/is published under an Open Data License.

(Ellen C Friedman) #24

Nice work, everyone!

I like Adrien’s text. Just a couple of suggestions:
TransforMap invites all existing mapping initiatives to cooperate to (or and) create an open pool of data…"

(Silke ) #25

I am not sure if “open pool of data” speaks to ppl, I doubt it does.
It is important to tell to ppl, that we will create a MAP (independently of what is technically behind.)

(Silke ) #26

Michael, I like the phrase as well, but “movement” especially “social movement” is quite a well defined term in political/social sciences and I don’t think we come close to it; for me - calling us “a movement” is generating a false impression

(Thomas Kalka) #27

@DagmarE ich meint lediglich die kurze Passage (zwei drei Worte) bezüglich der API. Aber es könnte auch “open interfaces” heißen.