Yunity.org

(Thomas Kalka) #1

Community Report #2: 14 April 2016
Community meetings 2016
(Tilmann) #2

yunity.org just arrived here :slight_smile: I’m still looking around, and I’m only one of our many members.

(Jon Richter) #3

Hi @tiltec, great finding you aboard.

Can Yunity be seen as similar offer like Sharetribe or Fairmondo? (cc @gandhiano)

The guy at the platform cooperativism event mentioned in the Trello Card was @alabaeye, and yes we have loose connections with @simonline’s wechange.de, but we are not providing their mapping engine.

(Thomas Kalka) #4

Welcome in transformap.
I will start to collect questions about Yunity.org here and we may post them to another place, if you find this appropriate.

1. Will yunity.org be a multilanguage service ? If yes: which mechanisms will you be using for mutlilanguage data representation ?

2. Will you some semantic technology to mach narrow with wider topics ? For example: User Anton searches for vegan food, User B offers Bananas. Will your system match this requests ? If yes: how do you implement this.

3. Are you trying to implement yunity.org as a federated (peer to peer) infrastructure ?

(Tilmann) #5

Hi @almereyda,

the yunity software in it’s first version will provide the features needed for foodsaving/foodsharing.
We do this to replace the old PHP app of foodsharing.de with an improved version (focus on mobile, good notification settings, less organizational overhead). Also, everything will be easily translateable to enable international use.
Some multi-sharing features and custom community support will be available in the first version.

I will have a closer look into sharetribe and fairmondo soon. One co-founder of fairmondo has joined our Slack chat recently, so I will ask him some questions :slight_smile:

Hi @toka,

yes, feel free to spread my answers.

1. The user interface and most information on the yunity software should be available in the preferred language of the user. I didn’t have a closer look at possible implementations. We hope to find something easily integrateable in Django (Backend) and AngularJS (Frontend)

2. This is something for later development, after the first release. I have no idea how to implement it yet, but I’m very interested. Maybe something with elastic search or social graphs or some sort of language AI magic :wink: I guess it would be pretty limited for lesser-used languages.

3. Not yet, but this is up for consideration. Currently, we are building a server-client architecture with a single server. Ideas of dispora, Hubzilla and Ethereum are floating around in our Slack. So far, nobody did come forward with an architecture draft or even a proof-of-concept.

(Jon Richter) #6

I can definitely suggest you have a look at https://matrix.org

(Tilmann) #7

Thank you @almereyda! I have heard of Matrix and vector.im before, but didn’t look at their architecture yet.

It would be an interesting task to draft a similar architecture for the yunity software and see how all needed features can be integrated.

(Adrien Labaeye) #8

Hey @tiltec, it would be great if you write a short description of Yunity and who you are/doing in the Who’s who category. This will help others to to identify you and what you’re doing. The best would be to link from there this conversation here.
I’ve added you to the metamap fo the Transformap ecosystem (you can also edit it yourself once you have an account there).
I will include your short description of Yunity in our bi-weekly community report (out on thursday): last one is here.

(Paul Free) #9

hey @toka
thx for starting this topic in here. :-).
Like @tiltec mention already is yunity.org in the first version providing the basic functions which are needed to let run foodsharing smothly and scalable.
While yunity is to understand as a open croudsorced and selforganized project, it’s qiet difficult to determined what and in which directions it will envolve.

For further releases there are hanging already a lot of ideas in the air.
I’m personaly interested in creating a social architecture to provide people with tool to work in agile networks. The exisiting project managments tools I’m looked throw where quiet hard to handle when used in dynamic networks instead of different groups.
basicly a social network which is really focused on the social aspects.

First step for that would be to make the network visable, which would then need semantic algorithms to open up the silos a lot of projects/organisations are caged.
(which is already the intention of a lot of projects. And I would love to see people from similar projects putting their heads together. :-).

Anyone who’s interested in those kind of stuff, we may can organize once a meet.jitsi

Aswell it’s usefull to understand that yunity itself is on one hand the opensource sharing platform on the other hand the comunity which is standing behind.
I’m strongly interested in creating and supporting offline communitys, which then will/can be the strengh of a lot of other upcomming projects.

thx for creating transformap! :slight_smile:

lg Paul

(Adrien Labaeye) #10

Hi @Paul_Free and @tiltec: while I can see that you choose open source license for your software, I couldn’t find information regarding the way data collected by Yunity is going to be licensed. I assume this may be an open discussion, but I would interested to know what your goals are. The implicit question is who is going to ‘own’ that data? This brings me to the question of the organizational reality behind Yunity: is there an association or a legal body? Which type?

For Transformap, we have two not-for-profits (Ecobytes and Get Active!) that manage resources. Data is going to be published under an open data license or public domain - this is a complex story. Not quite the usual setting. :slight_smile: We need to consolidate in this domain, but without getting trapped in too convetional organizational patterns that would undermine the commoning process - this discussion gives an idea of what I mean.

(Tilmann) #11

Hi @alabaeye,
this is a very interesting question.
I can tell you more about the things I know, namely the foodsharing and -saving part, which has the following types of data:

• Members (name, address, roles, food pick up statistics)
  • Messages (private 1-on-1, group chats, forum, pinboards)
  • Food baskets (temporary points where people privately offer food to others)
  • Stores (places where verified foodsavers pick up leftover food from supermarkets & co - a store has a team and a calendar of pick up dates)
  • Groups
  • regional (country, state, city, district)
  • working groups (e.g. big store chains, cargo bikes, development)
  • Events (meetings, festivals)
  • Fair-Teiler (public fridges)

Public data are the Food baskets (created by an user) and the Fair-Teiler (created by a group). I think it’s completely fine for everybody to license them as Public Domain or under the Open Database License.

Due to legal and confidentiality requirements, most of the data (stores, group content) is not visible to the public. Instead, we have the status of verified users, who have access. They are told not to leak data.
The process of verification as in foodsharing.de: the user registers, passes a quiz, agrees to a waiver of food liability and completes some (currently 3) pick ups with other foodsavers. An ambassador of the regional group then verifies the correctness of the personal data.

This is the current working process of ~15.000 people in foodsharing.de since ~2 years. Less barriers and less hierarchy are wishful and can be achieved with a careful approach.

(I didn’t forget about the Who’s who page, hope to do it soon!)

(Adrien Labaeye) #12

are you aware of this? http://inventaire.io
It is built by @maxlath for books but ultimately for anything to be shared…

(Paul Free) #13

Me sofar not, but thanks for mention. :slight_smile:
I will show it to our dev team.

Something I see as kind of necessary is in creating open standards to break down with the silos.
@maxlath thanks for all the work sofar. I would like to have a chat with you. Once you have some time just ping me on twitter: https://twitter.com/paul_free14

hey @Paul_Free, you’re welcome!
Indeed, having an open data standard to describe resources is a long lasting problematic. There is an issue open for it on inventaire repo but it hasn’t been very active.

A precision: as mentioned by @alabaeye, inventaire could potentially address other resources than books, but just doing physical books right will probably take some more years, and it might well end up doing just that, or that and some surrounding types of resources (see the discussion on board games)

I prefer forums or email (max -at- maxlath.eu) over twitter for discussions: feel welcome to ask for anything here or there!

hey Paul, I saw on Raphael’s wall that you got a gathering in August to work on Yunity, I might come around to discuss on how we could collaborate :slight_smile: will you be around?

(Jon Richter) #16

@tiltec or @Paul_Free, when should I arrive the latest on Wednesday to be able to meet with Doug still?

(Tilmann) #17

Hi @almereyda ,
Doug plans to leave to Rotterdam on Wednesday afternoon.

Would it be convenient for you to come here to Weimar before noon?

(Jon Richter) #18

Have to check tomorrow for a last contact I have to establish before leaving. Will update afterwards.

(Paul Free) #19

…yeah to be honest so far I didn’t investigate much into this, and my background is also not supportive for that. ^^
But from what I understood is: We need to find/use a common language which then is getting adopted.
Could you address me groups/persons working on these issues.

Would be great to see you on the Wuppdays. There’s always an interest to collaborate, especially for the reason we’re working anyway into the same direction. :slight_smile:
For the moment I’m not sure when or if I will be in Kirchheim. But I guess that I will be at least in between around. :-).

(Jon Richter) #20

No, this is not convenient. Let’s talk another day.